Friedrich Hegar: Festive Cantata for soloists, male choir and large orchestra

Started by Wheesht, Wednesday 11 March 2015, 14:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

New from Guild:
GMCD 74015   

Music for the University of Zürich

Johannes Brahms (1833-1897) - Academic Festival Overture, Op.80, Edward Rushton (b. 1972) - Concrete (World premiere recording), Friedrich Hegar (1841-1927) - Festive Cantata on the occasion of the inauguration of the main building of the University of Zurich 1914, for soloists, male choir and large orchestra, Op.42 (World premiere recording)
(CH)
Musikkollegium Winterthur, Akademischer Chor Zürich (male voices), schmaz schwuler männerchor zürich, Männerchor Zürich, Wolf Matthias Friedrich (baritone),  Soloists: Anna Gschwend, Stephanie Pfeffer, Sofía Pollak, Michaela Unsinn, Tamás Bertalan Henter, Reto Knöpfel, Ján Rusko, Philipp Scherer, Karl Scheuber (conductor), Anna Jelmorini (conductor)

Sound sample here:
http://www.guildmusic.com/shop/wbc.php?sid=1845775981c&tpl=produktdetail.html&pid=16534&recno=1&recno={wbc.srecord}

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Pity if so - I quite like his string quartet (F-sharp minor) (which Matesic uploaded to IMSLP) and would like to hear some of the other works that have been uploaded there.

Mark Thomas

Well it just seems odd to have a purely orchestral extract to illustrate a cantata. If it is representative of the whole then the piece must have sounded very old fashioned at the 1914 première.

Alan Howe

I'm passing on this one myself. But I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

Alan Howe

The whole thing can be heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwSD6udXucg
It's a celebratory piece, clearly. Fun, but not terribly profound.

Wheesht

I have tried the link just now and it says This video is unplayable... something to do with the rights?

Alan Howe

Wheesht

Yep. And since I last tried the link, the wording has changed to:

"This video is not available. Sorry about that."

The thing was marked as being public domain, that may be true of the work, but surely not of the recording?

jerfilm

How odd.  I just clicked on the link and it came up and played just fine.  7:15 Pacific Daylight Time......Monday

Alan Howe

adriano

In a way, it's correct that not everything is available as a free download. In the past I had been confronted with some 60% of my own CDs on Youtobe - and all in complete form, which I absolutely couldn't approve. Some excerpts for promotional purposes may be ok. In a legal case - and with the support of some foreign Copyright Institutes - we were able to track down quite a few of those uploaders; they were either warned or fined. In 2012, for example, I wrote a message to a guy who had just uploaded Fritz Brun's Third Symphony in full, making him clear that not only he was transgressing sound carrier copyrights, but also composer's copyrights (Brun is still protected). He wrote back to me, insulting me, among other, as being a "pompous ass". I think, at least some rights should be respected. A different case may be broadcasts and live concerts (or old recordings), which are not being released on commercial CDs (or have hopelessly disappeared). Just consider what new CD productions cost; those who paid them should get something back, in a way. The full amount of an unsung repertoire CD may never come back at all, and the fact that many producers issue them is also a work of love, which should be respected. Illegal copies of complete freshly available CDs are an insult to producers and to artists. Another case was one of my G. T. Strong Marco Polo CDs, which was on YouTube before even I knew myself that it had been released and before I had received my free copies.

eschiss1

Unlike Brun, however, Hegar died in 1927 so his music is PD-CA/EU generally speaking with exceptions- performances are protected and particular editions etc. (depending very much on specifics), but not the music just by virtue of his date of death. (The first edition of a work of his- anyone's, as a rule- published before 1923 in the US can generally be considered public domain there (here- which does not translate everywhere or even much outside the US, mind...), as well.)

Wheesht

I have now ordered the CD so I will have something physical in my hands that I bought in the proper fashion. I still don't understand how Youtube "decides" which countries have access and which do not. I, too, think that SOME rights ought to be protected, but the fact that Hegar died nearly 90 years ago had struck me as well.