Upcoming & unsung concerts redux redux (quack?)

Started by eschiss1, Friday 21 August 2015, 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Jupiter Symphony (New York City)'s new season calendar is out, with some items of interest (as usual) - Thieriot's clarinet quintet in E-flat, Pauer's quintet op.44, Josef Labor's quintet op.3, works by Frühling and Goetz, Kahn's quintet op.54, a trio by Richard Franck, among them.

This program of mostly flute and orchestra works by Reinecke, Chaminade, Harty and Griffes, and Tchaikovsky's 6th, looks interesting (Cadogan Hall, London, October 11.)

Of moderate interest (more to some of us than others- definitely to me!) is a concert with all 4 of Alexander Zemlinsky's acknowledged string quartets ("published" won't do there- only 3 were published during his lifetime, while two other quartets were published posthumously), on October 29th in New York City.

There will be a 150th-death-year Kalliwoda concert on January 31 2016 (Symphony 5 and Concertino, Hofkapelle Stuttgart, Donaueschingen.)

Gareth Vaughan

Very encouraging news, Eric. I may try to get to the Cadogan Hall concert - a lovely programme.

eschiss1

Won't be able to attend those myself, I think, but that's not the only reason for me to be glad or sometimes just interested they're there.

September 12 and 13 2015 in Tartu - in Church and at the Estonia Concert Hall- Tobias' Jonas Sendung, conducted by Järvi. (http://www.erso.ee/?concert=jonahs-mission&lang=en)

Here's an interesting program which may have been mentioned already - a program (Carnegie Hall, NYC, 17 December 2015) with Rubinstein's 2nd cello concerto, Steinberg's first symphony, something ("From Shelley") by Gnessin, and something ("The Rose and the Cross", Op.26, 1917-21 after Blok) by Aleksndr Krein. Of course, we see all these names on the program in NYC -all- the time... (The Gnesin work is listed here as Op.18, on IMSLP as Op.4. Assuming it's the same work, it's from about 1908.)

This April 2016 concert in NYC is not to all tastes but it does have a somewhat still rare opportunity to hear Klughardt's Schilflieder live.

Carl A Nielsen's 4 acknowledged string quartets can be heard on September 11&12 in Berlin performed by the Danish Quartet.

MartinH

That December 17th offering is sure enticing. I wasn't surprised to see Leon Botstein heading it up. Very glad to see the Steinberg on any program, and wouldn't it be nice if someone would play or record the 3rd and 4th?

eschiss1

I agree, it would...
In more familiar territory, Schmidt's Book with Seven Seals is coming to Vienna on October 20th (conducted by Manfred Honeck).
Two Danzi sonatas at lunchtime @ St Johns Smith Square, London on Oct. 22nd (horn sonata, and basset-horn sonata...)
Oct. 25 @ Alice Tully Hall (may have seen and mentioned already) - Magnard's piano & wind quintet, together with wind chamber works by Rimsky-Korsakov, Poulenc and Ligeti.
Nov.12-14, Casella's Elegia eroica opens a concert with works by Prokofiev and Rachmaninov in (Washington) DC (at the Kennedy Center).
Nov.24, a 2-piano concert in Dijon is opening with Moscheles' Grand Duo...

eschiss1

also, a concert with Stenhammar's 4th string quartet (a favorite), Langgaard's 6th, Nielsen's wind quintet, and music by Lars-Erik Vilner Larsson will be held at the Copenhagen Opera House on November 1. (Another concert with some music by Stenhammar- also Lange-Muller, and others- is this Friday; see here.)

His 2nd piano concerto will be in another concert (Stockholm), Jan. 23 2016 (https://bachtrack.com/concert-listing/berwaldhallen/soloist-prizewinner-2014/13-january-2016/18-00...)

Josef Suk's music also seems somewhat well-served recently- with a performance (by well-known-here, I think- Joshua Bell, e.g.- musicians) of his early piano quartet last May, and in the near future, performances here and there of his Elegy (piano trio version), his Scherzo Fantastique (in Barcelona, London, Bayreuth and elsewhere by various musicians and ensembles -- ?!) (well, it is the 80th year after his death...)

eschiss1

Forgot to mention:
Raff sinfonietta in Strasbourg on November 29;
Fuchs serenade no.3 in Saarbrücken on December 4;
Herzogenberg horn trio, Dec 21 @ St James Church, Piccadilly, London;
Several Berwald performances-
piano trio no.1 on November 9 @ Studio 2, Stockholm;
symphony no.3 (Blomstedt/Berlin Phil) in February 2016 (Philharmonie, Grosser Saal, Berlin) (!)
" (Blomstedt/Cleveland Orch), also Feb. 2016 (Severance Hall, Cleveland)
Quartet 2 (April 24 2016) (The Opera House, Copenhagen)
Septet (May 1 2016) (also @ The Opera House, Copenhagen)

eschiss1

Hrm. Unfortunately the Botstein Jewish composers in Russia concert (that's its name, not my summary)- the one this Thursday (Steinberg, Krein, Rubinstein...) is this Thursday, meaning I -can't- go :(

eschiss1

Ah, here's something more...
Carl Frühling's clarinet trio in A minor (dated to, or published in, 1925? Quite Romantic all the same) and Franz Schmidt's piano quintet in G major (1926 and rather more early-20th-century) (says "für die linke Hand", but could still be the Wührer arrangement, since the score of the original is hard to find- well- one finds out I guess) - @ the concert hall of the Cologne Philharmonic ("Gürzenich-Orchester Koln, 3. Kammerkonzert"), 3pm (1500) local, February 20 2016...

Their June 18 chamber concert has:

Ralph Vaughan Williams
Nocturne et Scherzo (1906)
für zwei Violinen, zwei Violen und Violoncello

Frank Bridge
Sextett für zwei Violinen, zwei Violen und zwei Violoncelli Es- Dur (1906–12)

Edward Elgar
Quintett für Klavier und Streichquartett a-Moll op. 84 (1918/19)
(played by  Jordan Ofiesh and Dylan Naylor, violins; Martina Horejsi-Kiefer and Antje Kaufmann, violas; Daniel Raabe and Katharina Apel-Hülshoff, cellos; Megumi Hashiba, piano.)

eschiss1

... May have mentioned this in a preceding thread, but this one looks interesting too (maybe more to me, and I can't attend without winning a lottery that I don't participate in, or somesuch... etc etc. ...) -
Medtner Concert at the Royal College of Music, London, January 30 2016.  2 piano sonatas, quite a few songs (and several of these I've heard and like very much- mostly from an EMI Composers in Person CD, but some of them in other renditions too; if you like his music but don't know his songs, this could be a really good concert. Among them is Op.29/1, The Muse, a truly ecstatic* song he quoted in his piano quintet.)

*That'd be Muse in its mythological sense, yes. The text is lovely too, at least as Edna Iles translated it as quoted in the notes to the EMI set... (on that composer-accompanied recording it's in fact sung in English.)

(Piano transcription of "The Muse" played by Alan Weiss.)

Ilja

A couple of entries:

• [size=78%]15 April 2016 in Stockholm: Moszkowski, Suite in G minor for two violins (with [/size][/size][size=78%]Bartók, Duos for two violins; Prokofiev's Sonata for two violins)[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]19 & 20 May 2016 in Lisbon (Gulbenkian): Arrigo Boito's Sinfonia (with Rossini, Semiramide overture; Verdi, Aida overture; Pergolesi, Stabat Mater)[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]3 July 2016 in Lisbon (Gulbenkian): works by Bomtempo, Freitas Branco, Mendelssohn and Haydn (TBA)[/size]
  • [/size][size=78%]24 July 2016 in Lisbon (Gulbenkian: Vianna da Motta, Donã Ines de Castro overture (with works by Bruch and Mendelssohn)[/size]

eschiss1

Oh, and one concert today Friday of interest for our readers and contributors in Tokyo, with Junichi Hirokami conducting Atterberg's symphony no.6. (New Japan Philharmonic.)
Upcoming:
Enescu first symphony (Feb.25, Stavanger, Stavanger Concert Hall)
Enescu violin sonata no.3 (Feb.29, Geneva, Victoria Hall.)
Novák - overture and symphonic poem (Lady Godiva & About the Eternal Longing), Buffalo, New York, Kleinhans Music Hall, March 4&5.
Enescu piano suite no.3 (Mar. 15 & April 19, Musselburgh, Brunton Theatre.)
piano trios by Taneev and Lalo in London (Conway Hall, London, March 20).
Enescu piano quartet no.1 (Dijon, April 1, Dijon Auditorium)
" octet for strings (Dijon, April 3, Dijon Auditorium)
" piano quartet no.1 (BASF-Gesellschaftshaus, Ludwigshafen, April 17)
" Oedipe (May 23 & June 2, Royal Opera House Covent Garden)
Novák - In the Tatras (Buffalo, Kleinhans Music Hall, June 4&5. Falletta/Buffalo Philh.)
Oresteia Overture by Taneev (Feb.9-11, 2017, New York City, Lincoln Center's David Geffen Hall.)