The Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 51 – Taubert & Rosenhain

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 14 July 2010, 04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Hyperion's latest volume will be out next month. Taubert's reputation in his lifetime was as a worthy, but dull composer, but I have a radio broadcast of his Second Concerto and it's an attractive Mendelssohnian work - no doubt Shelley will work his magic. I have no idea whether the Rosenhain will be a good one, though. What say you, Gareth?

Gareth Vaughan

I have an advance copy of this disk, and I must say I find the Rosenhain concerto highly attractive. In fact, I would say it was a much more engaging work than either of the Taubert PCs. You burned a copy of that radio broadcast of Taubert's No. 2 for me, so I knew what to expect - as you say, very pleasant Mendelssohnian music.  The 1st concerto is in the same mould but, I think, fresher sounding. Neither of them is going to set the world on fire, but they are very enjoyable, nonetheless, and I'm glad to have them on disk. The Rosenhain, however, really brings a smile to my face.

Mark Thomas

That's very encouraging, thanks. The completist in me is always glad to be able to "round out" collections, so having Taubert's First is a plus, especially if it's a brighter work, but the Rosenhain sounds as if it is a worthwhile discovery.

sussexbear

If you want to take a punt at something in the Mendelssohn vein try the 5th symphony by Gade - it has a delightfull part for solo piano - infact it is all but a piano concerto:-)

eschiss1

I also notice re Rosenhain his string quartet #3 in D minor (op65) at IMSLP (in the usual messed-up Merton scan :) - re-sort the pages and Bob's your uncle.) On a skim and occasional hum it seems like good stuff... there are a few other scores of his music there, plus one other I may have mentioned at a Bavarian library electronic database (his piano sonata in F minor op. 44*) that's in individual pages not yet collected into PDF form (but if someone does that it can be uploaded to IMSLP too.)

*According to Hofmeister Monatsbericht (I'm too lazy to check BSB), op. 44, not op. 1. Op. 1 is a piano quartet.

thalbergmad

Quote from: sussexbear on Friday 16 July 2010, 23:11
If you want to take a punt at something in the Mendelssohn vein try the 5th symphony by Gade

If you want Mendelssohn, the Kufferath concerto is pretty close.

Thal

JimL

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 14 July 2010, 12:10
That's very encouraging, thanks. The completist in me is always glad to be able to "round out" collections, so having Taubert's First is a plus, especially if it's a brighter work, but the Rosenhain sounds as if it is a worthwhile discovery.
I'll be glad to get this CD.  That sample of the Rosenhain sounds more and more delectable the more often I listen to it!

Richard Moss

Thal,

Any web link or catalogue details for that Kupperath concerto?  All I'm getting on Google, Arkiv etc. is Elizabeth K as a soloist.

Cheers

Richard

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Grove online has this:

Hubert-Ferdinand Kufferath
(b Mülheim, 10 June 1818; d St Josse-ten-Noode, 23 June 1896). Violinist, pianist, conductor, teacher and composer, brother of (1) Johann Hermann Kufferath. He, too, was a musical child prodigy; at scarcely the age of seven he tuned church organs, and soon afterwards appeared in public as a violinist and a pianist. His brothers gave him his first musical instruction; later he studied with F. Hartmann in Cologne and with Schneider in Dessau (1833–6). In 1839 his superb performance on the violin at a concert in Düsseldorf attracted the attention of Mendelssohn, who invited him to Leipzig. There he studied the violin with David, and afterwards studied with Mendelssohn and Hauptmann. In 1841 he conducted the Männergesangverein in Cologne for six months, and after travelling a while as a virtuoso established himself in Brussels in 1844, where he taught the piano and composition. He also conducted a choral society there and, together with Léonard and Servais, founded a series of chamber concerts by which the music of Schumann, among others, was disseminated in Belgium. His home became the meeting-place of such eminent musicians as Wieniawski, Bériot and Clara Schumann. In 1872 Kufferath was made professor of counterpoint and fugue at the Brussels Conservatory, a post he held until his death. His pupils Edouard Lassen, Arthur de Greef and Edgar Tinel praised his thorough technical understanding of music.

His works, which include symphonic, choral and chamber music, songs and piano pieces, are strongly influenced by Mendelssohn. Of greater significance is his single theoretical work, Ecole pratique du choral (Brussels, n.d.), which was used widely in Belgium and France.

Richard Moss

Alan,

Tks for the gentle correction/clarification!

Richard

thalbergmad

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 20 July 2010, 15:41
No recordings of his music mentioned on Worldcat, unless I'm looking in the wrong place (I find a Johann Kufferath mentioned, is this a relative?)

I was basing my judgement on my own feeble attempt to play it. No recordings as far as I know.

There were a few Kufferath's around. Not sure if Johann was a relative.

Thal

eschiss1

The Musical Times (http://books.google.com/books?id=FNJ6Ua9iaUoC&pg=PA383) even referred to him (Ferdinand) as Mendelssohn's "favorite" pupil. Though it's possible he might have advertised himself that way, for all I know :) So apparently Ferdinand, brother Johann, son Maurice (1852-1919) (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Kufferath) (according to Musical Times).

The École Pratique according to WorldCat was first published in or before 1876.
Eric

Alan Howe

Vol.51 in Hyperion's RPC series turns out to contain three very entertaining concertos - including one utterly memorable near-masterpiece, i.e. Taubert's PC1. Hyperion are definitely back on course with this one!