New Book on Unsung American Symphonists

Started by dwshadle, Tuesday 27 October 2015, 16:55

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

I did find that out Douglas. The University of Minnesota ordered a copy so perhaps my request will be processed as soon as it comes in.
Tom

eschiss1

I know of Ellsworth C. Phelps (and of Edward H. and Edward B. Phelps... sometimes hard to tell since their scores would be published just as "E.C.", "E.H." or "E.B." Phelps... as usual... sigh) but did not know he composed symphonic music. I wonder if Frédéric-Louis Ritter's symphonies (or those of somewhat more early-20th century David Stanley Smith) find their way in :)

sdtom

To keep you up to date the University of Minnesota refuses to inter loan this item.

dwshadle

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 30 November 2015, 05:22
I know of Ellsworth C. Phelps (and of Edward H. and Edward B. Phelps... sometimes hard to tell since their scores would be published just as "E.C.", "E.H." or "E.B." Phelps... as usual... sigh) but did not know he composed symphonic music. I wonder if Frédéric-Louis Ritter's symphonies (or those of somewhat more early-20th century David Stanley Smith) find their way in :)

I did not have a chance to look at Ritter's symphonies, but his name does appear in several contexts because his music was supported by the same conductor who supported Phelps: Carl Bergmann. Like Phelps, I think Ritter's hope for more performances died along with Bergmann in 1876. There might have been some other isolated performances later, but I haven't kept track. Maybe for the paperback. :-)

David Stanley Smith does not appear in the book. I tried to keep strict chronological boundaries, or else it would have spiraled out of control! He is definitely someone who needs more attention. Looks like a boatload of his materials are at Yale.

MartinH

Well, I finished reading Orchestrating the Nation this morning. It's a terrific feast for those of us interested in the symphonic developments in the US. It's not a book to read quickly - the companion website has loads of musical examples that you simply have to listen to. There's information and detail about composers and their work that was completely new to me - and I thought I was pretty well versed in the US symphony. The Introduction alone is terrific as it summarizes and explains quite clearly the problems facing American composers, not the least of which is the "Beethoven Problem". Gilbert Chase was certainly not a help.

The book also really whets the appetite to hear a lot of music that hasn't been recorded, such as the Louis Maas "On the Prairies". I've played his "Rooster Polka" and it would be quite interesting to hear if his orchestral writing is more serious.

A great contribution to the music library and long, long overdue. Almost makes me want to decipher the manuscript of the Chadwick 1st, put it on Finale, and get a performance!

Mark Thomas

That's very heartening, Martin. My copy is on it's way, but I'll have to wait until Christmas to get my hands on it.

jerfilm

I'd love to read it, but $50 for a Kindle edition seems a bit outrageous. 

sdtom

All you can do is put in a library request like I did.
Tom

eschiss1

Ah, ok, I see one of Phelps' orchestral works at the American Music Collection catalogue (@NYPL). Forgot to look there... (correction: 2; NYPL has his symphony Hiawatha in score.)

dwshadle

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 01 December 2015, 21:51
Ah, ok, I see one of Phelps' orchestral works at the American Music Collection catalogue (@NYPL). Forgot to look there... (correction: 2; NYPL has his symphony Hiawatha in score.)

Exactly. Hiawatha was microfilmed at my request.

britishcomposer

Kyle Gann has written a sympathetic review:
http://www.artsjournal.com/postclassic/2015/12/a-critical-conspiracy.html

In an earlier post he has to say some interesting things about Ethel Smyth and Rachmaninoff.

You wouldn't expect this from a maverick avantgarde microtonal composer who has written a lot on 20th century American composers and music, would you? I admire his willingness to keep an open eye or ear or heart on things which lie outside his academic interests.
(Sorry, I am not sure if I expressed myself reasonably.)

mikehopf

Is there any mention of Silas G. Pratt ( 1846 -1916) who wrote 73 symphonies? Surely, the Wagner of America!

dwshadle

Quote from: mikehopf on Wednesday 09 December 2015, 23:02
Is there any mention of Silas G. Pratt ( 1846 -1916) who wrote 73 symphonies? Surely, the Wagner of America!

Good call! There are two brief references to Pratt, but I was not able to work him into the text as fully as I had originally wanted. I've been collecting a lot of primary source data about him, though, and I hope to cook up something more official on him sooner rather than later. What an interesting person!

(My understanding is that he wrote *3* symphonies, not 73!)

eschiss1

Re Kyle Gann: you might moreso if you knew his Fanfare reviews (iirc...), which is mainly how I do know him (though I know of his compositions). (Somewhat similarly for Robert Carl, though they both review(ed) a fair amount of modern music, Carl moreso...)

mikehopf

Groves says 73 symphonies. Perhaps, the Haydn of America?