News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ries Cello Sonatas

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 01 January 2016, 21:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Santo Neuenwelt

I think the recording by Klaus Storck & Alfons Kontarsky leaves little to be desired. A remastering and rerelease would be welcome.

Alan Howe

Thanks for that enlightening contribution.

Martin Eastick

I can only apologise for the inaccuracy of my earlier post in stating that the forthcoming Naxos release  is to be the first recording of all three cello sonatas using modern instruments - even more so as I do actually have the Dynamic CD! Anyway, it is most welcome to have another "modern" recording of these works - perhaps to balance out the previous bias in favour of the "period instrument camp"! And, I will be very interested to see what volume 2 offers in due course - perhaps the early unpublished sonata may be included!

Hector

To go back to an earlier conversation. ...Vol 2 has something of the usual Naxos stretching of the point but looks acceptable enough.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573851

Martin Eastick

I am absolutely delighted that Naxos have done us proud with this second volume of Ries' works for cello and piano. The first volume was excellent - and now this second instalment complete with the early cello sonata is more than welcome. Most importantly though for me - a decent recording on modern instruments which will give this music its best opportunity to be heard and enjoyed!!!