News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stojowski VC

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 17 March 2016, 20:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...is to be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 next Tuesday (22/3) in Afternoon on 3 performed by what looks suspiciously like a Hyperion line-up, i.e. the BBC Scottish SO under Lukasz Borowicz, with soloist Bartlomiej (Bartek) Niziol...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartek_Niziol
Other pieces included in the programme could constitute couplings for a CD: Stojowski's Romance, Op.20 and Wieniawski's Fantaisie brillante on themes from Gounod's Faust.

Although we have a recording of Stojowski's VC (on Acte Préalable), it is a pretty woeful student effort. This would make handsome amends for that poor recording.

JeremyMHolmes

Yes, it would appear so:
http://www.lukaszborowicz.com/2,news
I'm guessing it will be (at least) July this year before it appears on Hyperion, given that their June releases are already known.

Alan Howe

Thanks. Here's the salient entry:

June 2015
GLASGOW - recording sessions for Hyperion Records. Works by Zygmunt Stojowski and Henryk Wieniawski were performed by: Bartek Nizioł - Violin, BBCSSO, Łukasz Borowicz - Conductor.

Mark Thomas

If this is going to be issued in their RVC series, it might be a straw in the wind that they have decided to go down the successful path of the RPC series and give us more unusual repertoire, which would be a very welcome development.

Gareth Vaughan

I enthusiastically second that.

Alan Howe

Let's hope that the Lassen VC features somewhere in their plans, then.

britishcomposer

Did any of you listen to the BBC broadcast? A funny mishap occurred to the poor radio host. She announced the violin concerto by "Stokowski" and declared that he was known to her primarily as an arranger of other men's music. Someone must have told her during the broadcast because she apologised afterwards.

Alan Howe

I completely forgot about it. Any opinions on the performance?

Gareth Vaughan

The ignorance of BBC RADIO 3 announcers these days is limitless.

Alan Howe

Yes, Hyperion's website confirms this:

The Romantic Violin Concerto also welcomes another addition to its ranks—volume 20—with a thrilling, all-Polish album of the Stojowski Violin Concerto & Wieniawski Fantaisie brillante. Both are brilliant (sic!) despatched by Hyperion newcomer Bartłomiej Nizioł; the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra accompanies with Łukasz Borowicz making a welcome return as conductor.
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/ym.asp?ym=2016_08

FBerwald

The sound-clip is very promising. Unlike the Arte-Nova recording where the initial violin entry nearly killed all my interest; this clip enthralls. A must buy that will give justice to the Stojovski Violin concerto... although at 54 minutes the CD is on the short side. Wasn't there a meatier unsung work that could have been coupled as the Wieniawski Fantaisie brillante has had pretty decent outings before [orchestral and piano versions]?

Alan Howe

Arte Nova? Or Acte Préalable?

Mark Thomas

The only previously available recording (Wajrak, Acte Préalable) was a disappointingly stodgy affair - I do hope that this interpretation infuses the work with some life. It should be a good piece.

FBerwald

My mistake.... it's Acte Préalable. I think both his piano concertos are absolutely exquisite [especially the 1st concerto] and I was eagerly looking forward to the violin concerto only to be disappointed when the Wajrak version came out; I sincerely hope this recording does this piece justice!