Amanda Maier-Röntgen Violin Sonata

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 24 March 2016, 16:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Sharkkb8

Downloading from iTunes even as we speak.  (Thank you, Alan!).  But, at the risk of opening a present-day gender-sensitivity can of worms  -  which might be considered to be more proper, Amanda Röntgen-Maier or Amanda Maier-Röntgen?   There are Wikipedia entries for both, the former in English, the latter in Swedish.  Surely not the most profound question ever posed on this forum, but for those of us who try to take great care in the accurate labeling of our collections, a reasonable question, no.....?

Alan Howe

I just went with the cover of the CD...

Sharkkb8

QuoteI just went with the cover of the CD...

Wise choice.  And no Rachmaninov vs Rachmaninoff re-hash is desired, just thought one choice might be more historically and/or culturally preferable to the other, for collection curation purposes.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

The -off/-ov debate has been done to death. And a similar fate awaits anyone who dares to go over that old ground again... ;)

Double-A

Quote from: Sharkkb8 on Sunday 08 May 2016, 09:16
Downloading from iTunes even as we speak.  (Thank you, Alan!).  But, at the risk of opening a present-day gender-sensitivity can of worms  -  which might be considered to be more proper, Amanda Röntgen-Maier or Amanda Maier-Röntgen?   There are Wikipedia entries for both, the former in English, the latter in Swedish.  Surely not the most profound question ever posed on this forum, but for those of us who try to take great care in the accurate labeling of our collections, a reasonable question, no.....?

Maybe curators and librarians won't like this, but I feel this question's answer depends on the biography.  In this case Maier stopped composing once she was married.  So it is appropriate IMO to call her by the name Maier.  Louise Farrenc would be the counter-example where the married name should (and does in practice) apply.

Alan Howe

As I said, I'm sticking with the CD cover.

Sharkkb8

QuoteThe -off/-ov debate has been done to death.

Yes, I thought I was agreeing that off/ov was futile, but that surely Rontgen-Maier vs Maier-Rontgen was a different kind of consideration altogether.  I withdraw the question, as it appears to be ruffling feathers.  I'm going to go listen to some Mario Tedesco-Castelnuovo. :o ::)

Alan Howe

I'm afraid I just can't see the point of extending the discussion in that direction. There are clearly references to Amanda's surname in both forms. FWIW Jurjen Vis' biography of Julius has 'Amanda Röntgen-Maier', so I'm inclined to think that is correct, but who knows...? Certainly, if I were going to file the CD, I would put it under 'Röntgen', not 'Maier' - but only because I'd have a better chance of finding it again (i.e. I'd be liable to forget her maiden name)!!

Let's now stick to the music - which is what we're here for after all...