Franz Schmidt's piano concerto

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 28 July 2010, 11:44

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Just purchased a cd of Franz Schmidt's Concertante Variations coupled with the Concerto for Left Hand.  It is very well performed and recorded.  In particular I like the piano, it is a very good instrument they use. Carlo Grante is the pianist with the Mid German Radio Sumphony Orchestraconducted by Fabio Luisi.

I also purchased the Taubert/Rosenhain piano concertos.  My criticism is that I wish they use a better recording venue than the Federation Concert Hall and a better piano.  Try comparing recordings of Shelley's Moscheles piano concertos in that venue and then compare with numbers 1,6 & 7 which were recorded in the superior acoustic of the ABC Odeon, Hobart.

Two other romantic cd discoveries for me are Marcel Tyberg's 3rd symphony from 1943 coupled with his piano trio from 1935.  Also Carlo Garofalo's Romantic symphony coupled with his violin concerto. Both on Naxos.

Another work I have yet to play is the Hans Bronsart piano trio on the IBS label.

Delicious Manager

I obtained the original Marco Polo release of the Garafalo symphony. It had an impressive list of former champions and so I had high hopes. I was very disappointed with it, however. I found it far too long and meandering and without a strong identity of its own. I am a staunch advocate of undeservedly neglected music (particularly symphonies), but had to let this one slip gently back into obscurity.

Now, Franz Schmidt is another thing entirely ...!

Pengelli

I have that cd,giles. Some of the music in the,left hand concerto,I think,reminded me of the more famous Dohnanyi Variations. Very enjoyable,beautifully crafted music.