News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The worst

Started by giles.enders, Friday 30 July 2010, 12:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Kriton

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 01 August 2010, 01:47
Getting better every time I hear it would describe much of Liszt for me, a composer I barely enjoyed at all because, I think, of non-musical preconceptions as to what he meant his music to mean - Alan Walker's writing (especially) having done much to clear up those misconceptions I have a much easier time listening to the music, the best of which I enjoy increasingly.
I can agree here, at least as far as "late" Liszt is concerned: the choral works from the end of his life never cease to amaze me - in fact, they get more interesting every time I hear them.

Peter1953

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 31 July 2010, 11:22
Quote from: Peter1953 on Saturday 31 July 2010, 00:01
I still haven't heard anything beautiful by Nielsen. I'm not going to give it another try. It's over.

Please try Nielsen's 1st Symphony!

A few months ago I bought Nielsen's complete symphonies (Danish RSO under Blomstedt). I've listened to the set a few times (except for No. 6) and can hear the development he made, but it's definitely not my music, although the slow movement in his First is quite nice. I have the idea that Nielsen cannot do anything good for me anymore (in fact I only have his symphonies and concertos), and that's not fair I suppose. But there is so much more really beautiful music written by Nielsen's contemporary fellow composers...

mbhaub

I agree with the assessment of Nielsen. Although he is clearly talented, it just doesn't offer enough that's emotionally rewarding enough to make me to invest too much time or money. I have the symphonies, and the first three are ok, the fourth interesting, the 5th irritating (I HATE HATE HATE that snare drum) and loath the 6th. I "get it" -- I know what he was trying to do with the sixth, but it just doesn't do anything. So I don't care for Nielsen, with one huge exception: the opera Maskarade is a wonderful, funny, delightful work that was so unexpected. Before totally giving up on Nielsen, you ought to try it!

Alan Howe

I don't agree. Nielsen is one of the greatest symphonists - of all time.

Kriton

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 01 August 2010, 09:54
Nielsen is one of the greatest symphonists - of all time.
And the Espansiva one of the greatest symphonies!

Jonathan

I also try to avoid threads about music people hate - I usually get involved to defend composers I think deserve a better hearing from those who haven't heard enough to come to a considered opinion!

However, I'm afraid I have to say Mahler, yes, I know it's his anniversary this year and next and I have tried to like him but I'm sorry, his music just doesn't appeal to me.  I'm much more looking forward to the (hoped for (by me!)) celebrations of Liszt's anniversary next year than those for Mahler.

I dislike the Grieg piano concerto too but only because it is overplayed, likewise with Ravel's Bolero.

edurban

Although I concede that there are about 15 minutes of lovely music in each, generally speaking, I detest Madama Butterfly & Turandot.  I am also sick to death of a much better opera, Carmen

I would walk miles out of my way to avoid hearing any of them again.

David

giles.enders

I do agree with Peter 1953 about Neilsen, I too have the Blomstedt set and one or two other recordings.  I think that if he were not Danish Neilsen would be not only 'dead' but well and truly 'buried'.  Fortunatly he is not played too often so I can ignore him.  As the person who initiated this topic, I will hold off for a while in nominating my 'worsts'.

eschiss1

Quote from: mbhaub on Sunday 01 August 2010, 07:37
I agree with the assessment of Nielsen. Although he is clearly talented, it just doesn't offer enough that's emotionally rewarding enough to make me to invest too much time or money. I have the symphonies, and the first three are ok, the fourth interesting, the 5th irritating (I HATE HATE HATE that snare drum) and loath the 6th. I "get it" -- I know what he was trying to do with the sixth, but it just doesn't do anything. So I don't care for Nielsen, with one huge exception: the opera Maskarade is a wonderful, funny, delightful work that was so unexpected. Before totally giving up on Nielsen, you ought to try it!

It's interesting about the snare drum. You know about the mutilated score, yes? The first published edition, after Nielsen's death, was edited by a relative of the composer (a violinist named Telmanyi) who completely messed up Nielsen's instructions to the drummers etc. The newish Nielsen Edition gets it right, but I doubt many performances or recordings do.

How often this sort of thing happens to composers I do not even want to conjecture. Though we don't have to conjecture...
Eric

Alan Howe

I'm not sure how far this topic is getting us. It is clear that any very well-known piece of music can be a turn-off if it is heard too often, especially in our culture where such things are broadcast ad nauseam (but are we really stupid enough to listen to them ad nauseam?).
I cannot see where an exchange of pet hates is going to get us either, especially if we are dismissing the whole output of a particular composer. (Who has heard the whole output of Nielsen, for example?)   

thalbergmad

On every forum i have ever been on, threads like this end up being deleted.

They serve no purpose and can cause upset.

No good will come of this.

Thal

Jonathan

Hi Alan,
Exactly my point!  People seem to be willing to dismiss a composer because they have heard a handful of works - this is why I often spring to the defence of composers others say they dislike...

Having said that, I have listened to everything Mahler wrote that has been recorded, even the 2 piano arrangement of Bruckner's 3rd Symphony (which I do actually quite like).

Also I agree that threads on this topic rarely seem to go anywhere - there is a similar one on the BBC Radio 3 MBs at the moment.  :o

wunderkind

What a pathetic discussion this is.

How many of the critics hereon could write a note of music that anyone would want to hear? Those who can, do; those who cannot, they post their immature impressions.

I fail to grasp the "hating" response, especially with the venom occasionally shown here, any of the works mentioned, or any other piece of classical music for that matter. 

I once held this group in high esteem; now some of the contributors look to me like asses.

wunderkind

Quote from: Jonathan on Sunday 01 August 2010, 14:51
I also try to avoid threads about music people hate - I usually get involved to defend composers I think deserve a better hearing from those who haven't heard enough to come to a considered opinion!

However, I'm afraid I have to say Mahler, yes, I know it's his anniversary this year and next and I have tried to like him but I'm sorry, his music just doesn't appeal to me.  I'm much more looking forward to the (hoped for (by me!)) celebrations of Liszt's anniversary next year than those for Mahler.

I dislike the Grieg piano concerto too but only because it is overplayed, likewise with Ravel's Bolero.

So this poster doesn't care for Mahler.  Does that mean Mahler's music is fair game to be vilified on this preposterous discussion?  And I wonder why the Grieg concerto is "overplayed?"  Could the reason be that it is a powerful, masterly evocation of a piano concerto and that people enjoy listening?

wunderkind

Quote from: edurban on Sunday 01 August 2010, 15:13
Although I concede that there are about 15 minutes of lovely music in each, generally speaking, I detest Madama Butterfly & Turandot.  I am also sick to death of a much better opera, Carmen

I would walk miles out of my way to avoid hearing any of them again.

David

The last 10 minutes, or so, of Act I in "Butterfly" contains measure upon measure of gorgeous, amorous music - a slow crescendo of emotions expressed by the pair of singers, which hardly is equaled elsewhere.