Řezníček Konzertstück etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 24 June 2016, 17:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

FBerwald

BerlinExpat

I attended a performance of Holofernes on Friday and was riveted to my seat for 30 minutes (Act 1) and 60 minutes (Act 2). The drama would have gained a lot had there not been an interval. Why this opera disappeared from the stage for 90 years is incomprehensible. Once can only hope that a release of the opera on CD will be made. There is no indication in the programme that Holofernes will enter the CPO Reznicek series. However, CPO have an advert for two forthcoming CDs releases. One is as notified by Alan Howe but with slightly different content. Announced in the Violin Concerto in E minor and not the Konzertstück!? Also included is the Präludium Mea Culpa, which according to "Editio Reznicek" is the Vorspiel to the opera Das Opfer. There are versions for string orchestra and string quintet. Also announced is Benzin on 2 CDs on CPO 777 653-2, but unfortunately, with no release date.
The substantial programme includes a full libretto in German, a list of 24 works in the "Editio Reznicek" as well as a five page list of biographical details and Reznicek's main compositional output. The programme costs €5 and perhaps can be purchased from the Theater Bonn. The next performance on July 3rd at 18:00 will be the last. The 130 book is a worthwhile investment for Reznicek fans who have a command of German.

Ilja

QuoteAnnounced in the Violin Concerto in E minor and not the Konzertstück!?
They're basically the same piece; the Konzertstück was published in 1918 and soon after reworked (with significant changes) into the E minor concerto and published in 1924. What makes it confusing is that he appears to have written a second Violin Concerto in the same year, this time in E major. I'm not sure if it was ever published, though. This seems to be the piece announced by CPO. It is a fine piece, with "Reznicekicisms" unusually intermingled with folk influences. I know the recording, and I can warmly recommend it.
However, the concerto is quite brief (just over 20 minutes), so most of this CD is made up by the other pieces, of which I only know the delightful Till Eulenspiegel and Goldpirol overtures. So as a CD this presents a slightly disjointed assembly of Reznicek scraps and pieces, it appears: a combination with the E Minor / Konzertstück would have been preferable in my view.

Alan Howe

Well, Goldpirol is Reznicek in 'let's write a Strauss pastiche' mode - but it's hugely entertaining, as ever with this vastly talented composer. More as I listen to the remainder of the CD...

Alan Howe

...throw Mahler in Wunderhorn mode into the mix and you have Wie Till Eulenspiegel lebte. An absolute riot.