PCs with lengthy orchestral openings

Started by DennisS, Wednesday 11 August 2010, 13:18

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Quote from: Gerhard Griesel on Friday 13 August 2010, 20:14
I have hoped one day somebody would post a list of PCs with the length of their orchestral openings somewhere, although it will be a good example of trivial pursuit. An interesting example is what I regard as the most beautiful piano concerto ever written: Busoni's. On the Hyperion recording, which is brilliant, the piano joins in at 4.02.

Not to mention one of the most un-assuming (and beautiful)  piano entries for a concerto of such Magnum proportions. Truly humbling!!!

Id like to add to this list the only piano concerto by Taneyev.... I'm not sure how long the orchestral exposition is but i'm sure it fits the 'bill' here..!

JimL

The Sgambati has a pretty long one, and he even leaves the 2nd subject out for the solo exposition!

Alan Howe

The Sgambati's a magnificent piece - influenced, I suppose, by Liszt, but on a grander scale. Jorge Bolet's performance from the 1970s on Genesis (coupled with the Rheinberger PC) is an absolute classic - pianism of corruscating brilliance.

DennisS

As Alan says, the Sgambatti PC is indeed magnificent. I only got to know it because it was coupled with the Rheinberger PC and thus was a totally unexpected bonus. Good to see The Busoni PC on Hyperion mentioned in this thread - another splendid PC with yes, quite a lengthy orchestral opening. Glad also to see the Field PC no 2 mentioned. IMO the number 2 is the best of the Field PCs.
Cheers
Dennis

FBerwald

Well ... I was able to put something together in my spare time (...that I didn't have...)
   ....Some Lengthy Orchestral openings/introductions to Piano concertos.

Anton Rubinstein
Piano Concerto No.2 in F major Op.35 -  piano 3:35

William Sterndale Bennett
Concerto for piano & orchestra No. 3 in C minor, Op 9 - piano 3:00
Concerto for piano & orchestra No. 2 in E flat, Op 4 - piano 3:00
Concerto for piano & orchestra No. 5 in F minor - piano 4:15

Felix Mendelssohn
Concerto in A flat major for two pianos - piano 3:22

Henry Litolff
Concerto Symphonique No 5 in C minor Op 123 - piano 4:08

Robert Fuchs
Piano Concerto in B flat minor Op 27 - piano 3:55