Eduard Lassen - Violin Concerto in D, Op. 87

Started by britishcomposer, Tuesday 27 December 2016, 22:36

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

A performance of Lassen's Concerto will take place in Dessau, 5 January 2017.
According to the blurb on the Deutschlandradio website the work was premiered in Dessau in 1888.
The concert will be broadcast by Deutschlandradio Kultur, 12 January 2017, 8 pm:
http://www.deutschlandradiokultur.de/programmvorschau.282.de.html?cal:month=1&cal:year=2017&drbm:date=12.01.2017

eschiss1

A discussion of this concerto, and other works by the composer, began here and extended for some while, btw. :)

Alan Howe

Can anyone record this, please? The performers are: Linus Roth (violin) with the Anhaltische Philharmonie Dessau
conducted by Markus L. Frank.

britishcomposer

I am planning to do so but I thought I'd better tell you about the broadcast so that others might do as well. Devices or internet or cable might fail...

Mark Thomas

Thanks so much in advance. I shall be away from home and so won't be able to record it myself.

eschiss1

Same violinist as on some recent recordings, I see. Promising.

Alan Howe

I'm hoping someone has managed to record the concert. Any luck, anyone?

BerlinExpat

Yes, Alan. I've got it although I didn't listen to it. I can upload it in the morning.

britishcomposer

That would be nice. I missed it...
Sometimes Deutschlandradio offers concert broadcast as a listen again service. This one is not offered (yet).

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

The performance is particularly interesting for the considerably fleeter tempi than in the performance we already have taken from YouTube - although they're not always maintained. Thus the conductor starts off the first movement at rather a gallop (actually it's bit of a scramble), only to slow right down as soon as the soloist enters. The finale is also taken more quickly. One thing is clear, though, and that is that Linus Roth is a violinist of the first rank; and this type of repertoire seems to fit him like a glove, as we found out in his CD of Gernsheim concertos.

A great upload! Many thanks! Now tell me: why isn't this VC in the standard repertoire?

eschiss1

For a (very memorable and good, not denying) concerto that's only been rediscovered, that's a big ask- there are some terrific works that have now been played somewhat more often, and which exist in more accessible performance editions, that couldn't be considered repertoire works either.  But maybe that's the wrong question (the process by which certain works went from practically forgotten to standard repertoire to we-here-in-this-group-are-now-bored-by-them (well, many of us? Not necessarily all! :) ) is worth thinking about*...)

*in demythologized detail, that being the best way of learning how to learn from a success so far as it _is_ repeatable/adaptable...

Alan Howe

One of the reasons for my question is that the standard 19thC violin concerto repertoire is so small - Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Bruch 1, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, (Saint-Saëns 3? Schumann?) - ridiculously so, in my opinion. There's certainly room...

eschiss1

If as we often do one counts the 19th century musically speaking as going up to 1915, the Sibelius seems to be being played more often than the Saint-Saëns 3rd (3 times or so give or take maybe* between now and June?) and Schumann (8, some of them repeats, making 5...- the Elgar about as much...), at least this remainder-of-season? (several dozen for the Sibelius?), I think... (Nielsen's is from 1911 but I haven't checked the frequency of performance, for one thing, and-well-hrm!)

*According to one particular website which of course doesn't begin to catch everything, not nearly.

Alan Howe