Prince Heinrich XXIV Reuss-Köstritz (1855-1910) (Reuss)

Started by khorovod, Monday 23 August 2010, 23:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainolf

For more information there is a comprehensive study about live and work of Heinrich XXIV. Prince Reuß-Köstritz (unfortunately only in German language), published by Olms in 2016:

Michael Stolle: Der Komponist Heinrich XXIV. Reuß-Köstritz. Ein Meister strenger Schönheit.
316 pages.

https://www.olms.de/search/Detail.aspx?pr=2009051

Reverie

Symphony No. 1 in C minor  Op. 10  (1892)

1st mov: Assai sostenuto
2nd mov: Andante (starts at 12' 52'')
3rd mov: Allegro Molto (starts at 22' 53'')

All three movements here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNTpfADtLOo

Alan Howe

This was well worth resurrecting. I don't sense a very distinct personality but, like his teacher Herzogenberg's 1st Symphony of 1885, this is certainly powerful stuff and would make a fine addition to any classical label's catalogue. Cpo, perhaps?

Thanks very much indeed for all your hard work on this!

Alan Howe

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering 'Why only three movements?', the answer is that the second movement contains a much faster section before returning to its opening andante tempo. 

Mark Thomas

Once again, we are substantially in your debt, Reverie. I'm looking forward to listening to it.

Alan Howe

It's a very fine piece. I'm still coming to terms with the quiet ending, but Brahms 3 (written nine years before) is a clear precedent.

If you can read German, here's the contents of the book by Michael Stolle:
http://www.olms.de/inhalt_pdf/9783487085777.pdf

...which I've decide to buy for research purposes. I'll post again in due course.

Reverie

Thank you.

I personally love the middle movement, especially the opening contrasted with the lively schezo.

I wonder where the other symphony scores lurk? Maybe our resident detectives could do some rummaging? Here's hoping.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

The 3-movement 3rd symphony (Op.28 in E minor) is in the collection of the Fleisher Collection. (I see the first symphony is downloadable from Berlin UDK. They also have the score of the 5th symphony op.34, not digitized (yet).) St. Pancras has symphonies 5 & 6 in score.

Gareth Vaughan

Bodleian Library, Oxford, has full score of the 4th Symphony, and, like Fleisher, score + parts of the 3rd - at least, according to WorldCat.
So only No. 2 has still to be located.

Was No. 2 actually published? If not and it remained in MS, it may (alas!) be lost.

Ilja

Giles,

Can you give a source for No. 2? From experience I know how easy it is to have works show up multiple times in listings, particularly when all of them were numbered later in the composer's life or after his death; the non-existent Rufinatscha "Fourth" is a good example. In short: could it be possible that Nos. 2 and 4 are the same work?

eschiss1

I think these later symphonies were all published - when published- with numbers and by 1910. For no.6 1909 is an estimated publication date, it seems, not a composition date. The 2nd symphony could relate to  this 3-page autograph excerpt from a manuscript seven years before the 4th was published in 1907, though that doesn't prove they're not the same work-
"2 ième partie d'une Sinfonie en la H. XXIV Fr. Reuss"

Alan Howe

joelingaard

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 24 January 2021, 17:21
Thanks to all of you for doing this research.

Hi, is this music any good? I hope to hear it on a day with nice recordings, but not CPO booklets...

:D

Alan Howe