News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cowen Symphony No.5

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 26 February 2018, 22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

which dates from 1916. I took you to be interested in recordings in more modern sound... there's also a symphony recorded on Marco Polo (perhaps reissued on Naxos), and other works, but a full discography might be a lengthier affair (even if it were mostly briefer works e.g. songs.) (Apparently only about 20 CDs at most, though, according to Worldcat anyway, that contain his music, and a lot of them are remasterings of older recordings I think.)

eschiss1

Ah. Actually, the -most- recent disc before this with any of Cowen's orchestral music might be a Chandos disc with one of Cowen's overtures among some other British ones (2014).

sdtom

Just ordered the Marco Polo release (2008) from Amazon for 8.99. Will let all know about it.

eschiss1

Turns out I have Naxos streaming access to several of them myself. Will give a listen.

Alan Howe

Let's try and focus here on the 5th Symphony which Mark has so kindly uploaded for us...

sdtom

okay, is there a modern recording of the 5th? Maybe I should start a new thread on him?

eschiss1

This -is- the new thread ("Cowen Symphony No.5"), and if and when released, would be the world premiere commercial recording.

Alan Howe

Quoteokay, is there a modern recording of the 5th?

A radio broadcast has been uploaded to UC, Tom - hence this thread. Here's the download:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,6759.msg71403.html#new

sdtom

I've listened Alan and want a higher quality recording (CD).

Mark Thomas

Then you''ll have to wait until the CD is released, Tom. That has been promised for a long time and in its continued absence my attitude is to be grateful for the BBC broadcast. Sorry that it doesn't meet your standards, but I can only record at the broadcast quality.

Alan Howe

Exactly, Tom. And you have a perfectly good opportunity to assess the piece in the meantime.

sdtom

yup I sure do and like what I hear.  :)

Alan Howe

I find it a frustrating listen - doesn't really follow through on its promise. I'll take Sherwood over Cowen any day. His music has guts.

sdtom

I'll revisit this one again.

semloh

The second movement belongs in a separate orchestral piece, certainly not in this Symphony.

Could it originally have been a separate piece and was 'drafted in' to serve as the second movement of the symphony?  Do we know anything about the compositional history of the symphony?