Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952), a revival

Started by Peter1953, Saturday 13 June 2009, 12:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Herrarte kindly uploaded here The Yugoslav Suite, Op.58.

Does anyone know if this piece is divided into movements, and if so what the names of the movements are?  (Maybe each section is named after a particular republic of Yugoslavia, or something...).

eschiss1

Confusingly, http://ingp0040.home.xs4all.nl/1554262.htm says that the score is missing- I don't know if the author means the manuscript score of the piano version only, or also that of the orchestral version, or even the published versions of both (presumably after the recording was made.)

Arbuckle

from Christopher: "Herrarte kindly uploaded here The Yugoslav Suite, Op.58".

I don't seem to be able to find this upload, can anyone give me direction, Thanks, Arbuckle

Christopher

Quote from: Arbuckle on Friday 13 January 2012, 14:55
from Christopher: "Herrarte kindly uploaded here The Yugoslav Suite, Op.58".

I don't seem to be able to find this upload, can anyone give me direction, Thanks, Arbuckle

It was posted here on this site at http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,1196.msg20402.html#msg20402   and the following link was provided for downloading:   http://www.filesonic.com/file/2577744704/Bortkiewicz_Symphonic_Suites.rar

cander49

FYI, That filesonic link is no longer active (they don't allow sharing anymore).  Are those recordings the same as the ones available on the classic-online.ru page?

Can anyone update re: the recording of the Russian Rhapsody?  Also, I've seen an "Olympic Scherzo for Orchestra" mentioned in a few select places.  Anyone know anything about this?

Dundonnell

I shall upload my copies of these files for you :)

giles.enders

In 2009  this thread strayed onto Saint-Saens and Wittgenstein.  I have just trawled through The Thematic Catalogue of the complete works of Saint-Saens, by Sabina Tella Ratner, which coveres every note he ever wrote, published, unpublished complete or just fragments.  There is no menion of anything for piano left hand or Wittgenstein comissioning anything.

eschiss1

Saint-Saens' opus 135 had the title, I thought, of 6 etudes pour la main gauche seule- but I have not seen the ms (no pun intended.) But I am surprised to hear that Saint-Saens composed nothing for left hand, considering.

TerraEpon

Indeed Saint-Saens wrote a set of left hand etudes as Op. 135

JimL

Like I said, this was a comment, IIRC about Leon Fleisher (after he recuperated from his right-hand paralysis) exploring left-hand literature made by a local newspaper critic.  And I thought it was a reference to concertante music.  Did anybody ever make a left-hand arrangement of any of Saint-Saens' concertos?

Peter1953

Back to Bortkiewicz for a moment. This looks like an interesting, commercial but rather old (?) article from the Bhagwan, reviewed by Rob Barnett.

Vasari

I too have the Bhagwan Thadani version and I am glad of it.  However, wouldn't it be phenomenal to hear a true orchestra play this.  It is a fun piece.  If you hear of it being recorded please let me know as well!

Christopher

There was a point at which there was a flurry of releases of Bortkiewicz's orchestral music, kindly uploaded here by member herrarte, always performed by the "Philharmonia" Academic Symphony Orchestra of Chernigov under Nikolai Sukach.  Does anyone know if they, or anyone else, have made further recordings of this composer's works?

Gerhard Griesel

I have just found several Bortkiewicz items on YouTube and heard them for the first time. What a super special unsung composer! It seems that PC 3 finale ends with organ and bells, but I cannot be sure of the organ. Could anyone shed some light on this beautiful but unusual orchestration?

Christopher

Welcome to Bortkiewicz Gerhard! - Yes, he's a particularly special Unsung!