Unsung Piano Sonatas 1860-1910

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 06 September 2010, 20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Aramiarz

I saw one fragment of piano sonate by Hjalmar Borgstrom

eschiss1

This makes me curious whether José Comellas' piano sonata's been performed in "modern days". (Cuban-American composer, late 19th-century. See Sonate brillante in G minor, Op.21 @ IMSLP.)

Aramiarz

The Pomar's sonate is from 1913, but in romantic style. Around 2000's the mexican label released one cd with Pomar's piano works. The pianist isn't enough good, but it's the alone recording

MHBallan

I saw mentioned earlier on this thread the two piano sonatas by Pachulski - not sure if members are aware but there is a 3rd piano sonata [Op 32] that the composer wrote just prior to his death.  Unfortunately it was never published, although I was able to recently track down a copy of the manuscript and it will be recorded before Christmas by Acte Prealable.  So one to watch out for in the new year.

Malcolm

Aramiarz

Dear Malcolm
  I have one cd by Pachulski in Acte. The new cd that you said will have the 3rd sonate? What other pieces? Interesting that you get the score!! The sonates 1&2 too will be performance and recording?

Aramiarz

Marmontel too wrote piano sonates. I think so that this important teacher and composer is very forgotten. He had the famous conflict with Alkan for get the place as teacher in Paris Conservatory. Some much composers dedicated works to him. For example the Dumka op 59 by Tchaicovski

eschiss1

Intriguing about the Pachulski 3rd piano sonata. Thank you.

MHBallan

eschiss 1 & Aramiarz

The Pachulski 3rd sonata is currently being typeset as it proved rather difficult to learn the score from the manuscript.  Happy to share with members once that is finished and the commercial recording is completed.

Yes, it will be done by Acte Prealable [but different pianist to the 1st CD] -   likely works to be covered on the 2nd disc will be some of the following: 2 pieces op. 9; 3 pieces op. 3; 2 pieces op. 11; Phantastische Marchen op. 12; Feuille d'album op. 16; Octaven-Etude; 2 Mazourkas op. 18,
plus some of the orchestral arrangements either for piano solo or piano / 4 hands i.e. Polonaise op. 5; Suite op. 13 and Meditation Op. 25.  The 3rd sonata will appear on a separate CD at some stage.

The problem has been with some of these works is actually locating the scores and then getting a copy for performance [surprising the libraries that say no despite the work being out of copyright]!!  Beyond the 3rd sonata Op 32, which I was able to track down, there are still two works missing - Op 30 Scherzo for piano and Op 31 Three Pieces for piano [prelude, etude & polonaise no. 2]......I do have a copy of the etude but the other two pieces from Op 31 are proving to be extremely difficult to locate]. 

Malcolm

eschiss1

Mr. Ballan - depending on the country, the composer, and the relevant law a work that exists only in manuscript might not yet -be- out of copyright in that country, or so I gather, even at 100 years of age in some cases... (e.g. some late CV Stanford chamber works...) (Not an expert here, though.)

Aramiarz

eschiss1

Ah, wasn't aware someone had recorded Gernsheim's one published sonata. Hopefully his 2-or-so unpublished piano sonatas (listed in the catalog of the Gernsheim Archive in Israel) are in performable or recoverable shape and can be recorded too :)

Aramiarz

Dear Erick, have you the link for  Gernsheim Archive in Israel?

Aramiarz

Other romantic piano sonate wrote Richard Franck!

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteAh, wasn't aware someone had recorded Gernsheim's one published sonata.

It's a computer-generated recording, Eric.

eschiss1

Well, as often, it's something, for now...