News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Braunfels' Jeanne d'Arc

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 09 September 2010, 09:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

I think that will be one for the Christmas list. I certainly enjoyed The Birds - glorious stuff.

mbhaub

Well that's great news. What's really surprising to me is the label: Decca! Not CPO, Chandos, Naxos, Hyperion, or one of the other usual suspects that bring us so much unsung music. I thought Decca had given it up after the Entartete Musik binge.

petershott@btinternet.com

Wonderful, wonderful news! And thank heavens the release is of an audio CD, and not a wretched DVD thing (and hence we shall be spared the gory, revolting and absolutely silly details of the Christoph Schlingenseif production from Berlin. I go to the opera for reasons other than to view decomposing rabbits and on-stage circumcisions!)

And how I wish EMI would resurrect the fine Dennis Russell Davis recording from 1992 of Verkundigung. Unavailable for some years now - unless one has a £100 or so for a S/H copy from an Amazon dealer.

In the meantime I again urge friends to listen to the deeply impressive Te Deum recorded a couple of years ago on Orfeo.

And wouldn't it be one of life's dreams realised if someone gave us Braunfels' Der Traum ein Leben?

Peter

M. Henriksen

I see that Decca's release has the title "Jeanne d'Arc" dominating the front cover. I can't find that this is the title of Braunfel's opera at all. Scenen aus dem Leben der heiligen Johanna seems to be the correct title of the work (and yes it can also be seen on the front cover with smaller text).
Is this a sales-promoting stunt from Decca? Jeanne d'Arc is a more catching title maybe..

My source
http://www.walterbraunfels.de/WB_WORKS.html

Morten

Alan Howe

Has anyone yet caught sight of, or rather heard, this new Decca recording of Braunfels?

Is it to be made available in the UK, or is it a case of ordering from Germany? I e-mailed Decca 2 weeks ago asking this question - and of course received no reply. (How sad it is that a former major company now doesn't seem too interested in selling records or supporting potential customers).

I'm wondering if - like d'Albert's Der Golem on MDG - it is to be released without an English translation of the libretto. Which would be disappointing.

I'd be grateful if anyone able to comment would be kind enough to do so.

Peter

M. Henriksen

For those who are still wondering: The libretto comes in German, and English!

Received my recording a couple of days ago, I'm planning to spend a part of the coming weekend to get to know the work.
Have other forum members listened to Braunfels' work? Comments?

Morten

Peter1953

Some of us did, but not his opera Jeanne d'Arc. See the topic Walter Braunfels (1882-1954).

M. Henriksen

Sorry, what I was asking for was specifically comments on the new Decca recording.

Morten

Thank you very much, Morten, for news about this new Decca recording - especially good news for those like myself who are linguistic duffs that the libretto is accompanied by an English translation.

I'm sure everyone would be grateful if you would be kind enough to post one or two comments on the work when you have listened to it.

Peter

M. Henriksen

I will do so Peter! Very cold here in Norway at the moment (- 25 degrees Celsius) so I'm spending all my afternoons inside listening to music and Braunfels opera is scheduled for Saturday!

Morten

M. Henriksen

OK, I couldn't wait until the weekend!

I've spent the last days listening to Walter Braunfels' opera. Actually two complete hearings in two days, the first with the libretto at hand during the whole work. So here's a little review or introduction for members on this forum considering investing some money.

First a few word about the recording itself. This is a live concert performance (the first ever of this work) from Stockholm in 2001. The 2 Cd's comes in a double jewel case and the liner notes include an introduction by Stephan Braunfels, the composer's grandson. Jörgen Torp has written an informative text about the history of this work, and the booklet also includes a synopsis plus the complete libretto in German and English.

This opera was composed between 1939 and 1943 in a time when Braunfels was totally banned from "undertaking any form of musical activity". So the composer sought refuge in his composing, hoping that there would come better times. But the opera was never performed in Braunfels' lifetime even though he himself regarded the work highly.

So to the work: The opera is divided in 3 parts, The Summons – Triumph – Sufferings. The first and second parts are divided by a short central interlude. The duration of the work is about 150 minutes.
The music: Well I must say that I'm impressed. Both by Braunfels' creative strength to actually compose such a work under the difficult circumstances but also by the music itself.  I have his most popular work "Die Vögel" in my collection and I was more impressed by "Szenen aus dem Leben der Heiligen Johanna" after the first hearing. For those acquainted with Braunfel's Te Deum you can clearly here the composer's distinctive voice, especially in the first part. The second part set in the Reims Cathedral contains some gorgeous music with orchestral splendor, boys choir, bells and all that you can wish for in late, late romantic music. The third part almost becomes an anticlimax after the majestic Triumph section, but then we all know the tragic faith of Jeanne D'Arc. It's not a happy ending, but that's a rarity in operas anyway.

Decca's engineers have done a good job, I couldn't hear a sound telling me that this is a live recording.

So all in all a very good addition to the catalogue and in my opinion a safe investment if you are an admirer of, let's say the operas of Schoeck,  Schreker and Zemlinsky. Looking at Braunfels' list of works there are enough to record for the future. I will be very surprised if Decca will take the lead but they have surprised us with this one at least.

I hope this was helpful reading!

Morten

Alan Howe

Very helpful indeed, Morten. Thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review.

M. Henriksen

My pleasure!
I forgot to give credit to Manfred Honeck and his forces. Actually he recorded Braunfel's Te Deum with the same orchestra and chorus. I think the playing of the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra was very good in crystal-clear sound. And the singing? No complaints from me, but then I'm not an expert on operatic singing.

Morten