Stanford Complete String Quartets, vol.2

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 26 July 2018, 04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Three commercial premieres: quartet no.3 Op.64 in D minor, no.4 Op.99 in G minor and no.7 in C minor (Op.166, 1918 or 1919). See https://www.mdt.co.uk/stanford-charles-villiers-string-quartets-dante-quartet-somm.html (MDT). Not expected out until late August. No.3 can be heard @ IMSLP and in a rare aircheck, and was published commercially; no.4 has been analyzed and published in score and parts in a recent doctoral dissertation (can be downloaded) ; no.7 was broadcast over BBC , a performance which  I believe can be heard over YouTube, but this new recording is I believe the commercial premiere of all 3.

matesic

Nearly there at last. I assume the Dante plan to couple the unheard (by anyone here?) No.6 with the familiar Nos. 1 and 2.

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

Is it certain that no.6 still exists? The author of the recent summary @ MusicWeb seemed to imply some doubt, but I may have misread.

Mark Thomas

According to Jeremy Dibble's biography of Stanford, the full score and parts are in the Robinson Library at Newcastle University, UK.

eschiss1

Thanks! (I had that book on interloan once but either didn't notice that or forgot it...)