Sergey Ivanovich Taneyev (1856-1915)

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 26 September 2010, 16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

This recording was made by the USSR State Symphony Orchestra and conducted by Kurt Eliasberg.

eschiss1

Quote from: Ilja on Monday 01 November 2010, 23:56
This recording was made by the USSR State Symphony Orchestra and conducted by Kurt Eliasberg.
A quick search of a few sources reveals a Karl Eliasberg who died in 1978 but very little if anything about this conductor... interesting.

Hovite

Quote from: chill319 on Monday 01 November 2010, 02:27Bluster-wise, how would compare The Taneyev 1 coda to that of Tchaikovsky's 1, Hovite?

Well, Taneyev is less noisy, but Winter Daydreams hangs together better. But really they are chalk and cheese. Taneyev doesn't sound like his master, and there is no reason why he should. After all, Kreisler doesn't sound like Bruckner.

In fairness to Taneyev, it should be pointed out that his Symphony No. 1 was written when he was just 18.

FBerwald

His Piano Concerto in E-flat Major is a beautiful work. Admitted, the work has many faults, the first movement is virtually monothematic yet Taneyev handles this in a masterly fashion.

Ilja

There is an (artistically) somewhat more satisfying performance (although the sound quality is far from great) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xEsI_mOysI

The Allegro by itself would make a great Konzertstück.

eschiss1

Any opinions by the way on the new continuing series of his complete string quartets on Naxos, the first I know of since that undertaken by the Taneev Quartet in Soviet days?

giles.enders

Sadly his piano concerto was never completed.  Only the first two movements exist.  It is a shame that he should have devoted his time to completing his friend, Tchaikovsky's third piano concerto and not returning to his own.

FBerwald

I completely agree Giles.... yet the completed 1 movement is a far better thing than fragments in sketches  etc.., which in the hands of the wrong people would lead to utter disasters like we saw with the Elgar PC.

scarpia

Taneyev's opera The Oresteia is going to be staged at Bard College in upstate NY later this month.  I have the Belorussian State Opera recording - very rare. Got a great deal on it in a shop in Montreal. It's a wonderfully grand opera.

chill319

@Revilrod. I'm often disappointed at the paucity of UK reviews when I visit amazon.co.uk. (A surprising number of reviews there are borrowed from other countries' sites.) I've written a few reviews for the Amazon site "across the pond," often of items with no other reviews. Mine are personal effusions, nothing more. My hope is that perhaps through them someone may find a sympathetic wavelength.  (It's been discovered that when people sing together, their hearts tend to beat together.) It's true that Amazon reviews are four- or five-star affairs, more often than not. Objective? Hardly. In my book, that's a good thing insofar as most of us have our best insights in relation to things we like rather than things we don't. Accordingly, when it comes to effusions, the more the merrier, I say. I would encourage all UC members, especially non-U.S. members, not to hesitate to broadcast your subjective as well as scholarly responses via Amazon reviews.

Richard Moss

I have just acquired, via Amazon for just a few pounds, the Koch Light recording of the Suite de Concert Op 28 (plus his Canzona) arranged for cello instead of violin (and clarinet) respectively. 

Does anyone know whether Taneyev himself scored both versions or, if not, who transcribed which version? 

The booklet notes for both violin and cello versions of the 'Suite' singularly fail to mention the 'other' version!  IMSLP only refers to the violin version!

Any enlightenment appreciated

Richard

Finn_McCool

I saw the opening night performace of Taneyev's "Oresteia" last Friday at Bard Summerscape festival and I thought it was phenomenal.  The cast, the direction, the lighting, the costumes and, yes the music and singing were all top-notch.  Mikhail Vekua as Orestes was very impressive, but running close behind were Olga Tolkmit as Elektra and Maria Litke as Cassandra. Highlights included several scene-setting spooky moments from the orchestra, Orestes' duet with Elektra, Cassandra's aria in the first act, Clytemnestra's "mad sene", Orestes' aria praising Apollo and yet another Orestes aria late in the opera.  The set and costumes were a surreal combination of Taneyev-era Russian influence, occasionally jarring modern touches and the other-worldly furies and gods.  I wan't sure how I was going to fare with the ancient Greek storyline, but Taneyev's version and Thaddeus Strassberger's innovative staging made everything compelling.  Act 2 was especially gripping.  It is a performance that I will be chewing on for a while. 

petershott@btinternet.com

What a wonderful experience for you - and sadly, probably a once in a lifetime experience (unless you go to further performances in August!) Strange you praise some of the singers, and the production....but not a word on Botstein?

Any rumours at all about a possible commercial recording arising from this production? For some years it has been one of those operas of which a recording at least seems not inconceivable, and that someone might make it actual has been a fervent hope of mine.

Amphissa

I too am envious. This opera is so rarely performed that it qualifies as a unique experience. I've enjoyed the old LP recording, but an actual performance ..... Do you know if it was recorded at all, video or just audio? Colleges often make in-house recordings.

Finn_McCool

A woman who was staying in the same Bed and Breakfast told me that she didn't like Botstein's conducting with the American Symphony Orchestra, so I made a point of keeping tabs on him during the first act.  After that, I was caught up in the story and the music and did not pay him so much attention.  Frankly, I'm not sure what her beef is/was.  I have loved everything I've seen Botstein conduct at Bard.