Julius Bittner Symphony No.1 etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 31 December 2018, 20:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...forthcoming from Toccata Classics, coupled with his symphonic poem, Vaterland, performed by the Siberian Symphony Orchestra under Dmitry Vasilyev:
https://toccataclassics.com/pipeline/

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

The Symphony dates from 1923; Vaterland from 1915.

Gareth Vaughan

Incidentally, the article on Bittner in Wikipedia is wrong about the Austrian Dances, one of the orchestral works he wrote. It states they are for 2 pianos and orchestra. This is clearly an error: the score is available in a version for orchestra and for piano 4-hands. Full score and parts are in Fleisher and there is no sign of a piano (let alone two) in the list of parts. The Symphony No. 2 and the other symphonic poem (apparently he wrote two) must remain in MSS - at least, they are not listed on WorldCat.

eschiss1

Das Lied von der Bergen was published at least in reduction by Leuckart in 1930. ONB has a copy of that. There's also at least 2 string quartets, published 1913 and 1916. I have of the 1st symphony (info also from ONB iirc?) "©1923, photo-lithograph ("Wien, den 21. Mai 1923."), Universal Edition" but that just may say that the ms copy was made in 1923, unless we know that the original score was composed that year...

(Actually, Bergen's full score is at St Pancras - OCLC 498259589 - so I disagree that it's not listed @ Worldcat ? )

Alan Howe

A small correction, if I may: it's 'Das Lied von den Bergen'.

Gareth Vaughan

You are quite right, Eric. My mistake. Symphony No. 2, however, remains elusive. Dare one hope that an edition is being prepared from the ms. for Toccata's Volume 2?

Mark Thomas

I only know Bittner from his 1911 opera Der Bergsee, and it's late-romantic lusciousness encourages me to look forward to this release. As to volume 2, there are a number of volume 1s in Toccata's catalogue that didn't progress to volume 2, presumably because sales of the first didn't justify a sequel.

M. Yaskovsky

Yeah, like https://toccataclassics.com/product/shebalin-orchestral-music-1/ which has, to date, not gone any further. But you never know. Could be mr. Anderson keeps finished recordings in the pocket until he thinks it's time to release them? cpo records has that kind of 'habit' too.

Gareth Vaughan

But, to be fair on Martin, Toccata has produced many 2nd and 3rd volumes in series. I guess it's a question of money. A series may be planned but if the donors pull out after Vol. 1, it can go no further.

Alan Howe

It'll certainly be a question of money. In any case, we should praise Martin for his enterprise in bringing out all that unsung repertoire - even if follow-up volumes don't seem to materialise.

eschiss1

Mark Thomas

Oh, I agree too. I was just counselling caution on the prospect of further volumes.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Firstly, plaudits to Toccata for its amazingly generous policy of allowing one to hear the whole CD online before buying. Secondly, and taking advantage of that, it's fascinating to hear these two works from an obscure composer who I only knew from ancient recordings of his two operas Der Bergsee and Der Musikant. Anyone familiar with the late-romantic rich orchestration and spiky melodies of those works will know what to expect from Bittner and, on the whole, that's what this symphony and symphonic poem serve up, although at first hearing there's an urgency and tension in them which is new, although that could be the performances of course. The sonorous slow movement of the Symphony No.1 is most reminiscent of Bruckner, as one might expect, but otherwise Bittner's style doesn't lend itself to the "sounds like" game. These are clearly early 20th century works, grounded in the romantic tradition but with edgier orchestration, and I'm looking forward to this fascinating release greatly.