Johanna Senfter Violin Sonatas Op.26 & 32

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 31 January 2019, 10:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I was wondering whether the Brucknerian idiom of her Fourth Symphony would transfer to these works, but it's difficult to tell from the audio extracts.

eschiss1

At least two other chamber works of hers have been recorded already - her cello sonata in A major Op.10 and her violin solo sonata in G minor Op.61. They can be heard on YouTube and may give some clue to the answer while one waits for the actual recording (I don't actually know the answer myself...) (Ah, also a recentish CD on Colosseum with her sonatas Opp. 57 and 79 for clarinet and cello (in A, op.57, in E-flat, op.79, respectively. There may be sound samples for this one somewhere too if not entire videos, anyway..)

Alan Howe

The Op.26 Violin Sonata (dated between 1914 & 1918?) is in a post-Brahmsian style; the notes mention Reger, her teacher, but it's not as chromatically complex as his sonatas - to which some would no doubt say 'thank goodness'. Can't hear any trace of Bruckner.

Mark Thomas

I'd certainly be saying "thank goodness", but I'm passing on this one.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I can't say I've got much from the Senfter works I've heard so far, so I'll see if these become available on Spotify.

Alan Howe