Parry - The complete works for violin and piano

Started by Martin Eastick, Monday 04 March 2019, 00:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

Although this 3CD release has been mentioned on the EM Records site for some while now, it is now readily available, and having just acquired my copy, I have absolutely no hesitation in giving it the highest recommendation - that is if late 19th century English violin music is your "thing" - so to speak! Both the recording and performance are of the highest standard, and it is good to have ALL Parry's violin music available, even though some of the smaller early works are perhaps, understandingly, of lesser importance. It also may be interesting to compare Rupert Marshall Luck's earlier recording of the sonatas.

That more of Parry's music is now accessible for the first time - at least thanks to the recorded medium, can only be most sincerely welcomed. And further proof, if any be needed, that Parry's reputation should not rest solely on "Jerusalem"!https://www.em-records.com/discs/emr-cd050-52-details.html

dmitterd

In the interests of fairness, I must disclose that I'm a foundation subscriber of EM Records, however I too can heartily recommend the 3-disc set. It is absolutely wonderful to have these works available, especially as they are performed by such talented performers.

cheers,
Daniel Mitterdorfer

Jimfin

EM Records do wonderful work, and I shall be ordering this from them. Thanks for the reminder and I very much look forward to it. I have the sonatas since i was a teenager and I'm sure there is much else to enjoy.

semloh

Parry's chamber works are so enjoyable; thank you for flagging this valuable set.