Anton Rubinstein Piano Concerto No.3

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 05 March 2019, 12:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I do think that the Fifth is flawed, it is overlong and it is repetitive, but it's material is so strong and the sound world which Rubinstein creates is so compellingly austere and monumental (especially in the first movement which always makes me think of a mountains), that I'll forgive it those faults. A little judicious pruning here and there would have turned it into a masterpiece, but that wasn't Rubinstein's way.

Alan Howe

QuoteAlan's instance on having the last word in everything has spoiled discussions on this forum for quite some time!

Apologies. I'll restrain myself in future.

FBerwald

Apology accepted. I love this forum for its spirited discussions and varied points of view - it has opened my eyes to many composers I might otherwise ignore. Apologies to Alan if i hurt your feelings. That was never my intention.

Alan Howe

You were quite right to say what you did. It's a fault I must correct.

semloh

Hmmm, well, getting back to Alan's original question. I love the 3rd piano concerto! It's not too hot and not too cold, not too lumpy and not too long - it's just right. But don't ask me to explain that in musical terms!  ;)

eschiss1

*looks for a recording of Eric Coates' "Three Bears" fantasy to explain it in musical terms*

semloh