Stanford’s The Travelling Companion to be released on 27th September 2019

Started by Kevin, Monday 27 May 2019, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

http://www.thestanfordsociety.org/2019/05/23/recording-of-stanfords-the-travelling-companion-to-be-released-in-september-2019/

I was just talking about this, found it today. Very, very excited. Stanford, along with Raff, are my favourite unsungcomposers. I find both Stanfords and Raff's chamber music to be exemplary.

Kevin

I wonder if this will lead to recordings of A much ado about nothing and the Critic?(his other successful operas)

Gosh I would go nuts for them!

Mark Thomas

We can only hope, but in the meantime this is a hugely welcome release. The excerpts on the Somm website sound very attractive.

Alan Howe

...whereas I thought they sounded remarkably dull. Hey ho. I remain to be convinced - but the whole opera may do the job, of course.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

...whereas I tend to pick and choose. But I'll be following reactions to this release with interest.

Gareth Vaughan

The excerpts on the Somm site are all mixed up. They do not match the words identifying each. For example: No. 2 is actually No. 23 and No. 23 is actually No. 3, so it is impossible to get any sense of structure from the extracts at all.

Kevin

QuoteThe excerpts on the Somm site are all mixed up. They do not match the words identifying each. For example: No. 2 is actually No. 23 and No. 23 is actually No. 3, so it is impossible to get any sense of structure from the extracts at all.

That is correct: they are all mixed up unfortunately and are very short snippets at that. And keep in mind it's a chamber orchestra performing, I see in the booklet there were only 17 string players... which would not be ideal but it is what it is.

I believe the work was heavily influenced by Parsifal which Stanford loved above all Wagner operas expect Meistersinger. So, I guess if you don't like Parsifal you won't like The Travelling Companion. A big bonus is it's half the length of that work.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

I thought the strings sounded thin. If it is modelled on Parsifal there may be a lot of sections where the strings divide which will render the sound texture even worse.

Kevin

It's a massive shame but we're unlikely to get another recording in our lifetimes.

Alan Howe

Why on earth couldn't they have drafted in some more string players?

Kevin

I don't know why. But even with the reduced strings the usually dismissive Rupert Christiansen of The Telegraph gave the staged performance a good review: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opera/what-to-see/travelling-companion-review-new-sussex-operatouring-accomplished/