Stanford’s The Travelling Companion to be released on 27th September 2019

Started by Kevin, Monday 27 May 2019, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Yep, I got a follow up email from SOMM confirming that date. It seems you were right, four weeks waiting period is the norm.

patmos.beje

For a site where Stanford's music has been frequently praised over the years, I am surprised that admirers of this composer have not acquired the CD release of the first commercial recording of one of his operas as soon as it became available. I would have thought that most fans/admirers of composers would gobble up, without hesitation, a release of a rare piece as soon as they could.  I certainly would.

Stanford is a composer I have been decidedly cool towards over the years. However, in January, having read about the forthcoming release of The Travelling Companion, an opera I had been aware of since my teens, I downloaded from this site the extracts broadcast from the 1990s. I have listened to them frequently and became enthusiastic about the release of the full opera.  If someone had said to me a few years ago that a Stanford piece would be one of my most eagerly anticipated releases of 2019 I would have been highly sceptical.

However, the CD arrived last Friday on its official release date and I have listened to the opera 5 times and intend to listen to it many more times.  Whilst it may not be one of the greatest operas ever written, it is a thoroughly competent piece and has given me a great deal of pleasure.  In my opinion, whilst  the orchestral Prelude might sound richer in the extracts, when compared with the CD and it's reduced orchestration, there are points of detail in the orchestration in the more modern CD that get lost in the extracts from the BBC broadcast with its, presumably, larger orchestra. This, in my view, is true also of the conclusion of the opera. Overall, the orchestral sound of the opera sounds absolutely fine to me, notwithstanding its reduced orchestration.

To me the music is largely memorable and, on occasions, inspired and moving. The singing and chorus sound fine as well. This CD release has made me want to explore more of Stanford or, at least, listen again to music that previously had little impact on me.

Alan Howe

Although your review certainly expresses enthusiasm for the opera, you name sufficient reservations for me still to be rather wary of buying it...

Kevin

Nice review patmos.beje

I personally haven't gobbled it up because I've recently switched over to digital only. It took many months but now my entire CD collection is sitting on my hard drive(with backups close at hand), I see no need for physical media anymore. Even for glorious Stanford I'm not going to buy a CD, I just have to wait it out.

Jimfin

I shall be gobbling it up as soon as it reaches Japan. I have ordered direct from Somm. There will never be a Stanford release I won't order, until I die, and the first recording of a Stanford opera is an especial treat. I can only hope for more (especially Much Ado and the Critic) as well as recordings of more of the big choral works like Eden

Kevin

Hear Hear JimFin!

Thanks for bringing my attention to Eden, Its the first time I've heard of it. Does anyone know what Professor Dibble says about it?

eschiss1

Eden, Op.40 (begun 1889 or 1890, completed and premiered 1891 (the latter October 7 1891)) is a dramatic/sacred oratorio in several acts to a text by Robert Bridges. Vocal score @ IMSLP which also has a copy of the libretto. Dibble discusses it pp 223-28.

Jimfin

Got my copy of The Traveling Companion before the super typhoon which is going to keep me inside for the weekend. My first impressions are very positive. I knew much of the music from the broadcast, but hearing the whole thing gives a great sense of unity. The orchestral sections are more considerable than I imagine too, and these and the choral sections are extremely fine. I think this is one of those operas with a good claim to be the best, or one of the best, British opera between Dido and Grimes.

Kevin

Alan Howe

Kevin

QuoteThe review also mentions the 34-strong orchestra. Hmmm...........

Its no secret, it's at end of the booklet for all to see.

Alan Howe

Kevin

One day you'll have to bite the bullet and listen to it yourself, that's the only way to be sure.

Mark Thomas

Absolutely right. That's what I'm looking forward to doing as soon as I can download a copy

Alan Howe