Rheinberger Wallenstein

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 26 July 2019, 14:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

If anyone is wondering, the new recording features a more thrusting, exciting performance than the one on Signum/Christphorus, coming in at around 5 minutes shorter than its predecessor. I think it makes a much better case for the piece. Well worth purchasing, in other words.

Justin

It is certainly more enchanting in the second movement, from what I hear in the sample.

Do you think it is likely that it will be available for digital download?

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

QuoteI think it makes a much better case for the piece.
I haven't listened to Wallenstein for years, but I've always found it a disappointingly uninvolving and academic work. Judging by the video on YouTube, Florian Krumpöck's performance is certainly a substantial improvement on Athinäos' on the old Signum recording, but I'm afraid that it still fails to convince me of the symphony's worth. Rheinberger was a fine composer, but this is not his best work and there are many better unsung 19th century symphonies than this one.     

Alan Howe

I don't often disagree with Mark T., but this is one occasion when I do - and it's all down to the marvellous new recording on Ars, which is akin to encountering, say, Stadlmair in Raff after so many lumpy performances. The piece just glows under Krumpöck's direction - and all the dynamism missing from the Athinäos is there as never before. I'd never rated Wallenstein before - but I do now...

Mark Thomas

Wouldn't like people to think we agree on everything ;). I think the performance itself is praiseworthy, but I just don't rate that highly the material with which Krumpöck is working.

Alan Howe

Great to disagree, isn't it? I've learned a lot that way...

Alan Howe

This has been on repeat listening for the past week or so. The new recording absolutely transforms the piece from something rather dutiful to an incident-packed ride. Wonderful. Don't be satisfied with the old Signum/Christphorus recording; this is so much better because the conductor evidently believes in every bar!

der79sebas

I have the new CD only since yesterday and I totally agree!

Alan Howe

Oh, good! Glad it's not just me!

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Please don't pay attention to David Hurwitz's opinion of this lovely work in his review of Moszkowski's Johanna d'Arc. Frankly, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Anyone who enjoys the Moszkowski ought to respond to the Rheinberger.
   And please, if your experience of Rheinberger's fine symphony is based on the Signum/Christophorus recording, do have a listen to the vastly superior and more exciting recording conducted by Florian Krumpöck on Ars. It's been a game-changer for me since I first heard it.

NB Download now available from Presto:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8672486--rheinberger-symphony-in-d-minor-op-10-wallenstein