News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Armas Järnefelt from BIS

Started by M. Henriksen, Sunday 17 October 2010, 09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

BIS with a surprising release of orchestral music by Finnish composer Armas Järnefelt (1869 - 1958).
What is very pleasing is the fact that this recording doesn't duplicate the repertoire of the 1996 Sterling disc (at least that's what I can understand from looking at the cover).
So here we have some unsung works to enjoy this autumn!

The new BIS disc:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Armas-J%E4rnefelt-Symphonische-Fantasie/hnum/4992597

Morten

Alan Howe

Yes, I had spotted this CD too. Looks intriguing...

Mark Thomas

Yes, me too. Do we know how "symphonic" the Fantasy is? I was wondering if it, like Phillip Scharwenka's Dramatic Fantasy, is nigh-on a Symphony?

Syrelius

BIS has recorded some unsung Finnish romantic music, including Crusell, Melartin and Kajanus. I'm still hoping that they will record some orchestral music by Toivo Kuula sometime...

JimL

Quote from: Syrelius on Sunday 17 October 2010, 19:17
BIS has recorded some unsung Finnish romantic music, including Crusell, Melartin and Kajanus. I'm still hoping that they will record some orchestral music by Toivo Kuula sometime...
Crussell is more High Classical, I would think.

Syrelius

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 17 October 2010, 19:57
Crussell is more High Classical, I would think.
Indeed so, or at least late classical. I wrote that one a bit too fast...  :-[

Syrelius

Alan Howe

Thanks! Fairly derivative music, then, but probably a must-buy for fans of this sort of thing...

Mark Thomas

It'll certainly be in my collection I think. Thanks for the link Syrelius.

Ilja

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Sunday 17 October 2010, 13:19
Yes, me too. Do we know how "symphonic" the Fantasy is? I was wondering if it, like Phillip Scharwenka's Dramatic Fantasy, is nigh-on a Symphony?

From what I have seen in score, I'd say: pretty "symphonic". Should be good.

Alan Howe

Those in the UK interested in this CD may like to know that it will be released here on 29th November (news from Select, the distributors).

jerfilm

And it's now available in the colonies as well.  A nice release IMHO.  I would say on the lighter side- the Fantasy doesn't sound much like a symphony to me.  I like the Suite.   I'd say a must buy for unsungers.....

Alan Howe

I bought the CD - but I'm not very impressed with the music...

febnyc

I, too, bought the CD which arrived just the other day (with the Graener). Not a chance yet to listen to it.

I recall the Sterling release of music by this composer - a disc which I no longer own (must have given it away) and the music on which I cannot recall at all.  Hope springs eternal, however, and so I'm giving dear Järnefelt another opportunity to entertain me!

Mark Thomas

I found the Symphonic Fantasy rather incoherent and lacking in direction. Not very impressive. The Suite and Serenade are better, but essentially they're collections of "light" music. Very pleasant as far as they go, which isn't very far. All in all this CD was a let down.