Myaskovsky Symphonies (complete) on Alto

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 14 August 2019, 05:24

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

Indeed, only if Amazon is the one actually making the CDR ("on demand") will they note it's a CDR.

dhibbard

This is marked as a limited edition run... as noted on the back of the box.  IDK what that means...  any thoughts??

Alan Howe

We still don't know whether they're CDs or CD-Rs, so I have now emailed Alto.

Alan Howe

...and Robin at Alto confirms: they are pressed.

semloh

John Boyer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 06 January 2022, 15:12
...and Robin at Alto confirms: they are pressed.

Thank you for the research!  In the end I purchased a used copy of the Warner, but it is good to know that there are other options.

Alan Howe

I have the Warner - shame about the documentation, but...

John Boyer

I've made it through 5 discs of the Warner symphony set.  Nikolai, I hardly knew ya.  You cannot speak of a Myaskovsky style.  He's as conservative as Glazounov in one, as modern (and outside the bounds of this board) as late-20s Prokofieff in another.  This comes as a pleasant surprise.  I guess I didn't know his work as confidently as I thought.

Alan Howe

Spot-on, John. That's Myaskovsky for you!

eschiss1

Wouldn't have him any other way. (Well, I do wish it had been possible for him to develop along the lines of syms.10&13/quartets op.33 nos. 1&2 more- I just read through op.33 #1 (with score I mean) for the first time, and find it assured and amazing.)

Justin

Sound quality isn't ideal, especially for the strings, but I am so fond of Svetlanov's interpretations that I prefer them to the other releases.

The quality is better and less compressed on the 2017 Anthology of Russian Symphonic Music behemouth, but unless you want downloads, it is rare to find.