Hubert Ferdinand Kufferath (1818-1896)

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 15 October 2019, 10:44

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Hubert Ferdinand Kufferath  Born 10.6.1818 Mulheim  Died  23.6.1896  Brussels

He was the youngest child of a watchmaker.  He came from a musical family and initially received his music education from his brothers and subsequently from Louis & Johann Hartmann in Cologne and Friedrich Schneider in Dessau. He later had some lessons from Ferdinand David and Felix Mendelssohn. He was a violinist, pianist,conductor and composer. In later life he settled in Brussels.

Orchestral

Symphony in C major Op.15  1849   pub. by N Simrock  (also version for piano 4 hands)
Piano Concerto  in E minor  Op.24  1857   pub. by B Schott

Chamber

Piano Quartet in F  Op.12  1847  pub. by B Schott
Piano Trio in E  Op.9  1845   pub. by B Schott
String Quartet

Piano

Six Concert Etudes  Op.2   pub. by S Richault
Three Morceaux  Op.4/ Daydream,  /2. Caprice in G major, 3/ Romance without words.   pub. by les fils de B Schott
Six Concert Etudes  Op.8   1842    pub. by Simrock 
Berceuse in A major  Op.11  pub. by B Schott's Sohne  1851
Klavierkonzert  Op.21
Six Morceaux Characteristiques  Op.30   pub. by B Schott  1857
Six Etudes  Op.35   pub. by B Schott
Reverie  Op.41   pub. by B Schott

Piano piece 4 hands  Op.7   pub. by B Schott
Impromptu in G major, piano 4 hands Op.20

Song

Six Lieder  with words by Robert Burns  Op.3   pub. by Breitkopf & Hartel
Two songs voice and piano; 1. Le Choix du Coeur, 2. Les Fleurs  pub. by Georges Hartmann
Aurore ! for voice and piano words by Edouard Turquety   pub. by B Schott
My Mother !  for voice and piano   pub. by B Schott
Sigh !  words by Jean Reboul   pub. by B Schott
Wenn zwei von einander Scheiden  words by Heinrich Heine Op17/3  pub. by B Schott

Choral

'Jubel'  cantata Op.1

Reverie

SYMPHONY Op 15 - 1st mov in C major (13 mins)

1849 - so it's an early 'Romantic' symphnony.

Hubert studied with Mendelssohn from 1839 so he would have been aged 21+ and this symphony would have been composed during that time presumably.

I'd be interested to hear what influences you think are in evidence after listening. I don't hear much Mendelssohn to be honest which makes a refreshing change. I personally think he has quite an individual stamp.

I have started the remaining movements and hope to complete (as ever)

FIRST MOVEMENT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGVdSTkAjAU

Alan Howe

Biography:
Dates: 1818-1896

Prominent member of a Prussian musical family; the brother of Johann Hermann Kufferath, director of a music school at Utrecht, and of Louis Kufferath, director of conservatories at Leeuwarden, Ghent and Brussels. Hubert Kufferath was born at Mühlheim (edit: Mühlheim an der Ruhr, not far from the border with the Netherlands), and was first taught music by Joseph, who later sent him to Cologne to study. He played the violin at a festival at Düsseldorf so well that Mendelssohn, who heard him, persuaded him to come to Leipzig where he could give him some lessons. He also studied with Hauptmann and David there. From 1841 to 1844 he conducted the Männergesangverein at Cologne, then, after some tours, located at Brussels, where he conducted several musical societies, became an instructor in the Royal family, and was finally made Court pianist to Leopold I. He wrote a School of the Choral; symphonies; concertos and other compositions for the piano; and songs.
http://grandemusica.net/musical-biographies-k-2/kufferath-hubert-ferdinand

Alan Howe

The Symphony sounds like quite a 'big piece' - looking perhaps towards the heavier pre-Brahms works of the next couple of decades, e.g. Dietrich.

Great stuff, by the way, Martin. Really, really fascinating! Thanks so much!

Mark Thomas

Yes, fascinating is the word. It's a strong, confident beginning for the Symphony and I'm very much looking forward to hearing the rest of it(fingers crossed). As you say Martin, it doesn't have much of a debt to Mendelssohn, so Kufferath must have had an independent spirit.

Alan Howe

The more I listen to this grand music, the more I'm convinced that Martin has restored to us a hidden gem. There's nothing of Mendelssohn in this deeply felt and thematically memorable movement. I do so hope that the remainder lives up to it, particularly the finale.

semloh

Kufferath is a new name to me, and yet another Unsung Composer that our wonderful members are bringing to light. All the usual questions spring to mind - how much of the music is extant, has it ever been performed, has any been recorded, and so on. Thanks to Reverie for his sterling work, which holds so much promise.

Alan Howe

The music grows on me with every listening. This exhilarating first movement demonstrates a real ability to build and sustain climaxes.

Alan Howe

Having listened to this movement multiple times I'm now persuaded that this is one of the finest opening movements of an unsung and unrecorded symphony that I have ever heard. I'm now very excited - and somewhat nervous - about what follows this magnificent, memorable movement that so looks forward to later symphonists.

Reverie

Here is the whole symphony complete.

The handwritten score is quite rough as you may have already noticed. Accidentals are hard to decipher at times so apologies for any random 'bum' notes - I've done my best to check but a few will no doubt have slipped through the net. It's been a long project this one but as ever an education. Hubert has an individual voice and it's been a pleasure to resurrect it.

Hubert Kufferath lives again!

1st: Allegro moderato
2nd: Andante con moto (Theme with variations)
3rd: Scherzo and Trio
4th: Allegro molto

The symphony runs for about 40 mins.

LINK TO THE WHOLE SYMPHONY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGVdSTkAjAU

Mark Thomas

That's wonderful, Martin, thank you so much. I can't wait to hear the rest of this work and do hope that the other three movements live up to the promise of the first.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Just auditioned the finale - wow, what a ride! And so original! Absolutely fabulous!

Alan Howe

...and couldn't resist listening to the rest. It's magnificent. For me, it's the most original symphony since I encountered Rufinatscha a decade ago. It absolutely MUST be recorded.

Thanks so much, Martin. Wonderful work!

Reverie

Try the link from the scherzo into the trio at 25' 30" - it's sweet ....