Hubert Ferdinand Kufferath (1818-1896)

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 15 October 2019, 10:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

My conclusion is that he was simply 'his own man' - which backs up our initial impression of the Symphony as being largely uninfluenced by any other composer while clearly being 'in the tradition'.

Reverie

The Symphony in D Major has been uploaded to KBR tpaloj but I don't know when - I sent you a message.

It has no opus no and no date. I had a look at it briefly. I think it's an earlier work?

I will look into it further.

tpaloj

Thanks Martin. They never charged me for this scan: perhaps they were already working on it when I placed my order for the digitization. They've also uploaded a second score of the Symphony in C (op 15) – Kufferath's autograph, which is probably a more realiable source than the copyist copy.

Anyway, this Symphony in D looks more martial in style than Kufferath's earlier symphony. I find it interesting that a lot of instruments are crossed over only in the first movement, but not in the rest of the score. The date 1853 – by the way – is on the last page of the Finale. Mark's theory that it was composed for the marriage ceremonies that year sounds like a really good explanation to me, which would neatly explain the multiple anthems in the Finale.

https://uurl.kbr.be/1935289

Alan Howe

Was the Symphony in D in effect a 'pièce d'occasion'? If so, perhaps it was only ever performed once and never subsequently published.

Alan Howe

Returning to the Symphony in C, Rebecca Grotjahn, in 'Die Sinfonie im deutschen Kulturgebiet 1850 bis 1875', dates the work to 'before 1848' (and we now know that Fétis premiered it in 1847) and lists a performance at the Leipzig Gewandhaus on 25th November 1852 which was its debut there.

Grotjahn makes no mention of the Symphony in D. However, she is working from entries in 'Signale für die musikalische Welt', so maybe it was never reviewed.

tpaloj

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 30 October 2021, 08:22
Was the Symphony in D in effect a 'pièce d'occasion'? If so, perhaps it was only ever performed once and never subsequently published.
Fair assessment, more than likely so. Would be nice to find more info, the score itself has no further clues. It doesn't even have a front matter page.

I had a fun time with the Scherzo – it was so short I decided to spend my morning writing it out. Just over 3 minutes, with the composer's tempo of dotted minim 96. Score and audio:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xy4asxwsokl58p9/Kufferath%20-%20Symphony%20in%20D%20major%2C%20Scherzo%20%28v2%29.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lbey4pb4yps386/Kufferath%20-%20Symphony%20in%20D%2C%20Scherzo.wav?dl=0

Alan Howe

Well, this is fun indeed. It has one of Kufferath's most obvious hallmarks, namely his rhythmic ingenuity - one of the characteristics that points to Brahms, I think. It's really fine stuff!

Mark Thomas

Oh, wow, what a neat little Scherzo. Pièce d'occasion or no, if this is a fair sample of the D major Symphony then it would be wonderful to hear the rest of it. Heavy hint dropped, I know :)

tpaloj

It's looking increasingly like a very worthwhile symphony to me. We'll see: I haven't looked how the Finale is, yet. The outer movements are long and involved, so completing this will take some time - I'm planning to create the parts, too. It's good practice and perhaps it might encourage some orchestra to perform this Symphony eventually.

I wanted to highlight the stunning second movement as well (sorry for Noteperformer's "unexpressiveness" once again, but perhaps it can be enjoyed to some extent):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/340qu4ipqdfxe1d/Kufferath%2C%20Symphony%20in%20D%20major%2C%20Adagio.wav?dl=0

I only realized afterwards that the chorale-like theme (0:32 and 3:53), is the original Austrian anthem "Sei gesegnet ohne Ende", which was replaced by the currently adopted Austrian anthem in 1946. It is such a beautiful melody! Its inclusion does not bother me at all and I don't feel a hint of gratuitousness of using popular songs or anthems in the sensitive manner that Kufferath has done with this movement.

Mark Thomas

That's a mouth watering post, Tuomas. If this second symphony is a worthy companion for Kufferath's C major then the pair will potentially be very significant additions to the repertoire and we'll have to see what can be done to get them recorded.

Alan Howe

My reaction is rather different: it's a great melody, of course, but since those days it's become the tune of the German national anthem, as well as the hymn 'Glorious things of thee are spoken'. In other words, to me it's just too familiar. My problem, no doubt.

However, I really want to hear the whole Symphony!

Reverie

Thanks for this. Interesting. Some quite complex string texture there and unexpected harmomic shifts.

Quotesorry for Noteperformer's "unexpressiveness"
Not sure what you mean by this?

Noteperformer is a revelation in my opinion. The guys that made that sound library deserve a medal of the highest order. I find you have to spend a bit of time altering dynamics in individual parts ie: forget the composer's markings and use your own ear via repeated listenings until it's right. A bit like 'takes' in a recording studio.  It takes time of course but it's the bit I enjoy after the laborious inputting of notes.

Thanks again - looking foward to more.

tpaloj

Thank you! I often have trouble with the dynamics and since I don't have any real audio mixing skills or experience I have a lot of trouble balancing the instruments, especially strings vs. the rest of the instruments. Anyway, I appreciate that these excerpts have been enjoyable. I really wish that both of these symphonies should gain more visibility and press in the future.

Alan Howe

Indeed: keep going! Kufferath's an important voice.

matesic

As everyone surely knows (maybe temporarily forgets), the "chorale-like" melody is of course Haydn's Emperor Hymn "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser"