Stanford’s Veiled Prophet to be broadcast

Started by BerlinExpat, Friday 25 October 2019, 10:58

Previous topic - Next topic

BerlinExpat

Saturday November 9th - Wexford Festival Opera presents Stanford's Veiled Prophet 
7pm An Oriental Romance : Thomas Moore's Lalla Rookh. 
200 years after it was published, An Oriental Romance tells the story of Thomas Moore's epic poem Lalla Rookh, a tale of Arabian princesses, adventure and the exotic East, and explores the music it inspired. Most people associate Thomas Moore with his Irish Melodies, some of which are still very well known centuries after they were written, but his work Lalla Rookh has been largely forgotten.  At the time, however, it was a cultural phenomenon, repeatedly reprinted, translated into various languages, and a source of inspiration for painters, playwrights and, above all, composers, including Robert Schumann, Charles Villiers Stanford, Félicien David and many others.  Contributors include mezzo sopranos Martha O'Brien and Helen Aiken, pianist Aoife O'Sullivan and music students at Queen's University Belfast who perform some rare musical works inspired by Moore's poem.

Kevin

Huh? On their website it says 28 Oct... unless I'm missing something?

Kevin

Oh I see now, my apologies. ''too be broadcast'' sometimes my brain doesn't work to well like today...

Mark Thomas

How wonderful. I'll try to record it, but will you too, Colin?

Kevin

Oh, please someone record it please. This site is getting very slow lately, is it just me?

Mark Thomas

No, it's not you and I'm live chatting with Tech. Support of the host company as I type this message....

Jimfin

I believe a recording is scheduled to follow it.

Mark Thomas

Kevin

I believe the opera is in a ''Meyerbeerian vein'' which is awesome because I've just recently began to appreciate Meyerbeer. Heck, I now think Les Hugenuots, Le Prophete and Vasco de gama should be in top 100 performed operas worldwide! ;D

Mark Thomas

Kevin

I dunno hey, after listening to the CPO recording of Vasco I was convinced(it had too take half a dozen times to be honest)

Mark Thomas

I've recorded the broadcast, and will post it in our Downloads Board later today with any luck.

Mark Thomas

It's now available in our Downloads Board here. For some reason the broadcast has more audience/stage noise in Acts 2 and 3 than at the start of the recording, but once the music gets going it's not too intrusive. I haven't yet listened to the whole work, but it seems to be well sung, so let's hope there's a commercial recording. With The Travelling Companion, we do at least now have recordings of two Stanford operas. Only eight to go...

Kevin

This is good, worth a listen. After listening to two of his operas now Stanford happily seemed to have had a strong sense of pacing, nothing seemed dull or drawn out to my ears. Nicely melodic too. Here's a positive review if anyone is interested .https://operawire.com/wexford-festival-opera-2019-review-the-veiled-prophet-of-khorassan/

Now hopefully Wexford can do the Travelling Companion and the Critic and offer recordings too(They did Much ado about Nothing way back in 1964, so going by their never twice policy I doubt they'll do that one ever again.)