Anton Reicha Grande Symphonie de Salon No.1

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 17 December 2019, 21:58

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

I gave it a listen and don't feel it quite as much as I do most Reicha.

*shrug*

eschiss1

Well, always nice to know there are new works being discovered of course...

(Hrm. 250th anniversary for Reicha. Reminds me to check the 1820-anniversaries page, with some interesting names there.)

Alan Howe

I really like the opening of the finale - hesitations and all... Lovely!

semloh

Yes, delightful. Maybe somewhat churlish but I wish it was coupled with something other than the Beethoven Septet. Despite the cogent rationale noted in the review, it's a pity an Unsung work wasn't chosen, IMHO.

TerraEpon

Like perhaps the OTHER Grande Symphonie de Salon, or the Op. 96 Octet....though I only know of their existence as compositions, not if they actually exist as performable in 2019 (Reicha is one of those composers with an extremely confusing and info-lacking ouvure,...)

EDIT: Change that, the Octet is on IMSLP, so yeah

Alan Howe

I find Reicha's GS de S absolutely wonderful - cheerful, inventive, often exhilarating and always beautifully written. It is to be hoped that his bicentenary will produce a goodly number of new recordings, thus ensuring him of the place in musical history that his music so richly deserves.

Gareth Vaughan

BnF lists two Grande Symphonies de salon (nos. 1 & 2) dated 1827 and one Grande Symphonie de Salon (marked No. 1) dated 1825. Without seeing the scores one cannot tell whether these are 3 separate and distinct works or not.

TerraEpon

Even more confusing is that there's a piece called 'Diecetto in A' which may or may not be the same as one of those two.
The non-numbered Grande Symphony uses an ensemble with no flute, where as the other two and the Diecetto use one with (Wind Quintet, String Quartet and Double Bass)

That's just one of the many confusing things about his catalog (I believe a different thread we try to dissect the deal with the symphonies...)

Alan Howe