Historical Russian Archives/Svetlanov/10 CD set

Started by sdtom, Wednesday 27 October 2010, 17:13

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Berkshire Record Outlet is offering this set for $20.00, a good bargain in my opinion. A word of caution however. These are mono recordings cleaned up nicely. The BRO order # is 147251.
http://www.berkshirerecordoutlet.com/index.php

Thomas

Delicious Manager

Surely these recording can't ALL be mono (some of them are from as recently as 1992)? I have some of the Kondrashin recordings advertised by Berkshire Record Outlet as 'mono' and they are most definitely in stereo. Seems they can't be trusted in their listings!

sdtom

Only going by what they say as I've not listened yet to all of them. The first CD which offers the Borodin 1st symphony is definitely a mono recording recorded live on April 12, 1983. You'd think it would be stereo but it's not. Good clean mono however. Will let you know about the others as I go through them. The performance is good.
Thomas

sdtom

I've just had the opportunity to listen to the Myaskovsky. Symphony No. 22 is in stereo. Symphony No. 25 is mono however
Thomas

eschiss1

Quote from: sdtom on Tuesday 09 November 2010, 03:34
I've just had the opportunity to listen to the Myaskovsky. Symphony No. 22 is in stereo. Symphony No. 25 is mono however
Thomas
I think the 25th sym. recording may be from 1957... Is the 22nd symphony recording the one that was made in 1970? (I think I have sym. 25 from its Melodiya CD incarnation and sym. 22 from another appearance. Good performances in my honest opinion and good pieces...)
Eric

sdtom

I just got this general information back from Berkshire on the Svetlanov/10/CD set
The set is still available in adequate quantity.  We do not have any further information on it.
With a set that mixes older recordings and more recent ones (where recording information
is not easily determined)  we tend to list the entire set as mono even though the later
recordings might be in stereo.

Sincerely,
Berkshire Record Outlet

The recording of the symphony no. 22 is from 1970. It is a darn good recording
Thomas :)

sdtom

If anyone knows more about the Svetlanov/Myaskovsky #22 recording in terms of where it came from I'd sure appreciate it. Was this recording included in the Warner Bros. set?

eschiss1

Quote from: sdtom on Wednesday 10 November 2010, 15:47
If anyone knows more about the Svetlanov/Myaskovsky #22 recording in terms of where it came from I'd sure appreciate it. Was this recording included in the Warner Bros. set?
It's about the same date and seems right to be so (I haven't seen the new box and am guessing, mind...)
- I don't know if Svetlanov recorded it twice, though he may have. The Warner (first Russian Disc) set one -was recorded May 2 1970 with his usual orchestra I believe (don't really know the when and where myself...)

It was first available on LP, then to my knowledge on Melodiya-Olympia CD with the violin concerto I think, then in 1998 on a Russian Revelation CD with Rozh.'s Myask. sym. 2, then the Russian Disc -later Olympia, then Warner- set, etc. ...
Eric

sdtom