New Krommer symphony CD from cpo

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 15 February 2020, 03:31

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Is this the last one? (For the numbered symphonies; I think he wrote some unnumbered ones too - to be annoying, of course.) Anyhow, cpo announces as due on the 24th this month a disc of Franz Krommer's symphonies 6 (in D, 1823) and 9 (in C, 1830). Since symphony no.8 has been lost for ages, this disc together with symphonies 1-3 and 4, 5 and 7 (the first two of the set) seem to finish the lot. I like what I've heard in this series.

(I just noticed disc listed now, and coincidentally heard one of his concertos in a live broadcast (Op.91 for 2 clarinets) a few hours ago from a Turkish conservatory orchestra on Youtube, nicely played too.  That did feel good...)

Hector

Hoorah! I have very much enjoyed this little series. Only quibble is that Griffiths takes andantes and adagios too quickly and thus loses some cantabile poetry IMHO. He is very good on getting across Krommer's overall musical architecture and motivic development - as he is with Ries.

eschiss1

Yes. I am very glad cpo has taken up some of these very good-but-overshadowed-by-Beethoven (as who wouldn't be, imho) contemporary symphonists (not in areas where Beethoven was inferior, as in his wind trio music etc. as in earlier Krommer releases eg, but where these composers are in direct competition). I wouldn't mind hearing all of Witt's surviving symphonies rather than just 2 of them, for example (maybe he's blamed for the "Jena" symphony debacle :) )

TerraEpon

Man, yet another CD I'm obligated to get.

It's so great that the CD is dead, because I don't think I could keep up with all these great releases if it were still alive.

giles.enders

Perhaps a little early for this forum but for anyone who doesn't know Krommer's partitas for wind ensemble, they are delightful and well worth exploring.  And now back to the symphonies !!!

hyperdanny

Wonderful news and, without a doubt, a compulsory purchase.
The Krommer set has been a revelation.

eschiss1

Incidentally, symphonies 6, 7 & 9 -have- been published (I didn't think so) - recently :) - by Ries & Erler, in 2015 (no.6) and 2016 (7 & 9).

Alan Howe

I've just received the new cpo CD of Symphonies 6 & 9 (which date from 1823 and 1830 respectively). To my mind their most interesting aspect is that they don't sound at all like Beethoven. It's as if Krommer has simply by-passed young Ludwig and attempted to update the classical Symphony for a new century. It's fascinating - and glorious! No.9 was apparently written four months before Krommer's death at the age of 71.

Particularly memorable are the use of woodwind and the 'crunchy' brass writing. Howard Griffiths is an absolute whizz at this corner of the repertoire - he never disappoints. Do get this disc!

Mark Thomas

The audio excerpts are really enticing, Alan, thanks for the recommendation. I'll dip my toe in the water, I think....

Alan Howe

It's a really exciting pair of performances of very exciting music. If you already have Symphonies 4,5 & 7 you'll know what to expect.

Mark Thomas

What a revelation Krommer's Ninth Symphony turned out to be! It's clearly music of the early 19th century and yet, as Alan so rightly says, Beethoven's influence is pretty much absent. I suppose the nearest contemporary comparison would be Anton Reicha, but that's not really fair to Krommer who was obviously his own man. The music is vigorous and imaginative both in orchestration and development (in each movement it suddenly goes somewhere I wasn't expecting it to go). Where it perhaps betrays Krommer's late 18th century heritage is the character of his thematic material and the relentless momentum, even in the slow movement. Hector notes that they are taken quite fast by Griffiths, but certainly in this symphony's Adagio that seemed to be entirely appropriate. I'm looking forward to getting to know the other seven symphonies in this series, as Krommer definitely ranks as one of this year's big discoveries and, as usual, I have UC's members to thank for that.

eschiss1

It took me a moment to realize that "young Ludwig" referred to the other composer's age relative to Krommer, not at the time of composition. Whoops. Sorry.