Miaskovsky 24/Henselt PC/Schmidt 4

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 28 February 2020, 16:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

I thought the excerpts of the Henselt rather pedestrian - certainly rather dull and lacking excitement judging from the short extracts available.

Alan Howe

I'd probably most like to hear the Schmidt.

MartinH

The Schmidt on that recording is pretty good, better than some out there if not as gut wrenching as others. Played much better than the Moralt.

vesteel

Hiroshi Kodama and the Osaka Symphony has recorded several obscure works as well. https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?i=music-artist&rh=p_32%3A%E5%85%90%E7%8E%89%E5%AE%8F
Some notable ones inclde Wetz 2, Taneyev 4, Atterberg 6, Glazunov 5, and several others.

eschiss1

I think I'll just sit back and enjoy (honestly and sincerely!) the fact that these three works are therefore no longer regarded as obscure :) The Schmidt especially but all 3 deserve to be more often heard after all (and of course I think that of the Myaskovsky, recorded 3 other times now (Naxos, Northern Flowers, Melodiya.))

Alan Howe

...not obscure, but definitely still unsung?

There's the unknown, the obscure, the unfamilar - all categories of unsung.

MartinH

Obscure - all three. Only the Schmidt rings a bell with some people, but other than CD collectors no one seems to know it. And I fear Schmidt is going back into the shade. Since the death of Kreizberg no one is performing it anymore. None of the symphonies is on the docket for any orchestra I've researched next season. Myaskovsky is even more rare. Henselt - forget it. Yes, dedicated collectors know these composers, but most orchestral players, audiences, and conductors are still in the dark.

eschiss1

Schmidt 4 was performed a fair # times last year, I think, actually...

eschiss1

and the Bob Cole Conserv. Orch is playing it (sym 4) on 3/28. (And I'm sure others this year.) (Luisi is conducting the Seven Seals with a better-known orchestra meanwhile and Myaskovsky 6 is being performed in March in France iirc.)

alberto

The Schmidt 4 was performed two years ago by Kirill Petrenko and the BPO in Berlin, Salzburg and Luzern (I was at the performance in Luzern).

Alan Howe

Its profile is slowly rising. But it depends on the advocacy of a small number of conductors.

eschiss1

also : (full, not excerpt) video of Paavo Järvi conducting it on the hr-sinfonieorchester youtube channel from a 27/4/2018 concert. So yep.

Well, yes :D

eschiss1

as to the Henselt, Warren Cohen and the MusicaNova Orchestra AZ have performed that and uploaded at least part of it, I see. N[ever] s[ay]...

Alan Howe

The Paavo Järvi video is truly wonderful. Thank you, Eric, so much.