Röntgen PCs 2 & 4 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 02 November 2010, 19:44

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I think the Donemus recording of the 2nd is still available for listening over the internet on Concertzender -the coupled concertos dedicated to Tovey are (an internet search should turn them up in the concertzender archive. A view source can extract them as a webstream for independent iTunes listening.)

FBerwald

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 29 July 2011, 14:03
OK, OK, I'm an idiot! I've just listened again to the Second Concerto in the new performance from Kirschnereit on cpo and I have to say that it is utterly gorgeous. I loved it from beginning to end (although I do think that the third movement isn't on the same level as the other two). So I don't know what I was thinking of yesterday and I hang my head in shame.

"Even Jove nods, y'know."

Hallelujah

Alan Howe

It's a strange experience, isn't it, Mark? One has an off-day, can't appreciate something and then the next day it's as if the piece has been re-composed or one's brain has been re-wired. It happens to me all the time...

Gareth Vaughan

Mark Thomas

It's the first time for me in such a short space of time and I find it a bit disconcerting. Of course, many's the time I listen to something which I've previously discounted and not heard for years and effectively hear it with new ears, but overnight? Maybe first time round I was unconsciously preoccupied with something else.

Alan Howe

Preoccupation with something else is a major cause of the problem for me, certainly...

Gareth Vaughan

Peter1953

How well I recognize that to myself...

In the meantime I'm beginning to like the Fourth also very much...

Mark Thomas

Ah, well now, when I was suffering my tin ear day I did at least recognise the Fourth as being a good piece!

edurban

I had this experience with the Scharwenka Symphony...

David