Röntgen PCs 2 & 4 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 02 November 2010, 19:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

jpc have (sketchy) details of the release of Röntgen's PCs 2 and 4 on cpo here:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/J-Rontgen-Piano-Concertos-No-2-4/hnum/4986076

...although we know from cpo's catalogue that the pianist is Matthias Kirschnereit and the orchestra the NDR Philharmonic of Hannover under David Porcelijn.

jerfilm

It is sketchy.  Do you know if either 2 or 4 is the Concerto in D, opus 18 that was available on CD at one time?

Gareth Vaughan

Well, if we take the 1873 Concerto in G minor as No. 1, then No. 2 is the op 18 in D which was previously available on Donemus - yes.

Alan Howe

Frustratingly, having had this on order from jpc for some weeks, I have now been informed that the CD is not available. I assume that the release date has had to be put back for some reason. I'm trying to find out why...

Alan Howe

The CD has now been announced for release in October, although I think this is a misprint and that it will be out later this month (I hope!)...
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Julius-R%F6ntgen-1855-1932-Klavierkonzerte-Nr-2-4/hnum/7541623

M. Henriksen

I think it must be a misprint, Alan. It says 28th of October 2010, and that's pretty close to the date when you started this topic.

Morten

JeremyMHolmes

I agree - the CD is going to be 'on offer' until August on jpc and given that they have other new CPO discs out on July 25th, I would guess (and hope!) that this is also the release date for the long awaited Rontgen PCs.

Mark Thomas

My copy is shipping now, so I guess that it's generally available.

Alan Howe

Oh good. I've duly ordered my copy....

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I've just received my copy and have listened a couple of times. To my surprise, I found myself still completely unmoved by the Second Concerto, which I've known for quite a few years from the Donemus recording and always found unmemorable. To me it seems very predictable, full of empty gestures and competent but unexciting orchestration. The Fourth, on the other hand, comes across as a much more imaginative and satisfying piece with the first two movements (and especially the middle one) making an instant impression. Maybe the fact that it's six minutes shorter overall helps.

Peter1953

How different opinions can be, Mark. What I think of the Second is completely the opposite of how you described the work. I even dare to say that it's one of the finest unsung piano concertos I know of. Besides the delightful melodies, the work fortunately lacks atonality and noise. It's all a matter of personal taste, I suppose.

Alan Howe

Indeed, how opinions do differ! His PC2 is still one of my all-time favourites and I can hear its melodies in my mind's ear (as it were) without even trying. However, I did play the Donemus CD to death in 2004/5 when I first got it, so I've probably brainwashed myself...

Mark Thomas

Well, I surprised myself at the negative impression the Second made on me as I was expecting to be as wowed as you two obviously are. It obviously still just didn't push the right buttons for me, whereas the Fourth I thought a rather fine effort. I'll play them both again tomorrow and, who knows, maybe I'll be in for an epiphany?

Mark Thomas

OK, OK, I'm an idiot! I've just listened again to the Second Concerto in the new performance from Kirschnereit on cpo and I have to say that it is utterly gorgeous. I loved it from beginning to end (although I do think that the third movement isn't on the same level as the other two). So I don't know what I was thinking of yesterday and I hang my head in shame.

"Even Jove nods, y'know."