Joseph Lauber Symphony No.1 in E flat (1895)

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 12 April 2020, 20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Thanks to britishcomposer for the upload of this symphony.

According to Wikipedia, Lauber's over 200 compositions include an opera, 5 symphonies, symphonic poems, 2 piano concertos and 2 violin concertos, as well as numerous chamber music and vocal works.

britishcomposer

You are welcome!
The symphony is a lightweight I think but it's nice to have such tender solace during those times.

BTW, the announcer mentioned SIX symphonies, all planned to be recorded by the Biel SO.

Gareth Vaughan

Yes indeed. Thank you very much. Do you know where Lauber's mss. are held. I presume the symphonies and piano and violin concerti were not published as I can find no mention of them in a quick search on WorldCat, nor is there anything like that of his in Fleisher. It would be good to know.

Alan Howe

QuoteBTW, the announcer mentioned SIX symphonies, all planned to be recorded by the Biel SO.

That's something to look forward to. Wonder whether/how his style developed over time...

Alan Howe

...actually there are a number of his compositions on YouTube...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joseph+lauber
...which suggest that he may have been influenced later in his career by impressionism.

semloh

I agree with the kindly uploader britishcomposer, it's rather lightweight; but, I found it a pleasant listen, and it certainly suggests that checking the pieces on YT would be worthwhile.

eschiss1

I like the wind music I've skimmed on IMSLP but am pleased to hear of one symphony let alone a plan to release several (presumably when orchestras are recording again)

Mark Thomas

For a first symphony this is an assured piece of work, it's melodically attractive and shows very confident handling of the orchestra, even if it does have more than its fair share of showy, trite moments where it veers very near "Suite" territory - particularly in the overlong finale which rather lets the side down. That said, I'll certainly be interested to hear the other five symphonies if, as reported by britishcomposer, they're going to be recorded..

Ilja

The announcer at the end of the recording said that all six symphonies were being played in the next two years by the SO Biel-Solothurm.

eschiss1

(both works @ IMSLP were published on either end - 1922, 1928 - of the 20s, btw. - his Op.45 Medieval dances for flute and harp (pub.1928), his 4 intermezzi for wind quartet. I think I've seen YouTube recordings of the Intermezzi.)
Guessing cpo might be a destination for these recordings. That's a nice thing to look forward to...
As to where his MSS are held, I would guess somewhere like Basel or Bern.

eschiss1

ah, I'm reminded that some of his manuscripts are in the Danish Union Library too...

Gareth Vaughan