News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Klughardt from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 11 November 2010, 08:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

A few days ago a whole batch new CD's arrived. I've listened to Klughardt's VC three times, hoping to confirm Mark's and Alan's enthusiastic reviews. I cannot. To my ears it's not a neglected jewel and doesn't match the Reinecke, nor the Dietrich or Herzogenberg. Far from that. Also after three listenings I ask myself, what did I just hear? Yes, the strange and almost horrifying outburst of the tutti just before the end of the first movement (17:51). But for the rest? Do I recognize a Romantic VC, presenting memorable, moving tunes, which I love so much? No, I'm not getting moved by what I hear, although the concerto certainly has a lot of lyrical moments. I know it's my fault, not only because of your very positive reviews, but also because according to the booklet notes the VC was quite popular in Klughardt's days. I just don't recognize how special it is.
Klughardt's 3rd sounds rather nice, especially the 2nd movement, but doesn't get my applause either. Maybe the CD deserves my fourth listen?

Alan Howe

The Klughardt VC is, I believe, a much more ambitious piece than the VCs you mention. Clearly, given its scale (Beethoven and Brahms seem to be the templates), Klughardt was trying to write something on a different level altogether. Of course, for an unsung composer, that is a much taller order: neverthless, for me it works. But I think I can understand why it wouldn't appeal in the same way as the Reinecke, Dietrich or Herzogenberg concertos...
And I may be entirely wrong about the piece!

Gareth Vaughan

Maybe the best thing to do, Peter, is not to "worry at it", but to forget all about it for a few weeks, then play it again and see if you get the same underwhelmed impression.

Mark Thomas

I've certainly had the experience you describe with other works, Peter. A piece which you've been looking forward to, fuelled by the enthusiastic recommendations of others (guilty as charged, I'm afraid), fails to grab you straight away and then disappointment sets in, reinforced by repeated failed attempts to see what others do and you don't. My practice now, to echo Gareth, is to put the CD away after just a couple of listens, which often (but not deliberately) turns out to be for several months, even years. Quite often, when I return to it, I do "get it". Sometimes, I must be honest, the initial impression is reinforced.

It's definitely not "your fault", though. It's a good job that we don't all like the same thing. I get very bored with Mozart and Bach. I'm very happy to believe that they're geniuses but I'm afraid they just don't push my buttons and I'm not going to try any more to "get" them. I can live with them as just aural wallpaper and maybe you can live without Klughardt.

FBerwald

I feel the Dietrich is a very important and sadly neglected piece; even more engaging than the Schumann concerto which only rewards on multiple hearing. I haven't heard the Klughardt yet but if Alan and Gareth recommend it this strongly (the comparison to Dietrich is the positive for me!), then I can't wait to order it.

I also agree with Mark. I was turned off by Brahms in the beginning (my 1st Brahms was unfortunately NOT the hungarian dances but something else that I don't remember now.) Anyway I returned to Brahms 10 years later with the 2nd piano concerto and suddenly we were best friends.
The practice of putting away a piece for some time and then getting back to is , hasn't been very successful for me. I am referring to the Reger Piano and Violin concerto (several times) and still don't get it (although by now I have almost memorised the concertos).  Again ..it's a matter of taste. I know some people who hate Bach. Norman Lebrecht  said that "Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours. Mozart has nothing to give to mind or spirit in the 21st century. Let him rest. Play the Leningrad Symphony. Listen to music that matters ...." shocking. ...but there you have it!!!!!!

JimL

I seem to recall hearing the samples when this thread was new.  On the basis of those I just took the plunge and ordered this CD, since Presto had it on sale for 25% off!

Amphissa

Can someone who owns this CD tell me if the VC is recorded from a live performance or a studio recording?

Alan Howe

This is a joint production between cpo and Deutschlandradio Kultur, but whether an audience was present is not revealed - I certainly can't tell from a cursory re-listen of the opening of the VC. However, I do know that the opening flourish by the soloist in the VC has been tidied up in comparison to the radio recording I acquired before the release of the CD. Whether that was a matter of patching or using a different performance again is unclear - although the recording dates given (March 25-27, 2009) suggest that there was a series of performances. My suspicion is that there was probably a (very quiet) audience present, but that is purely a guess. In any case, it's a very professional production and, of course, a lovely CD.

Amphissa

Thanks Alan. I have a radio broadcast recording by the same forces. It is very obviously a live performance. But since the CD may have been taken from the live performances, rather than a studio recording, I won't upload it.