Dunhill & d'Erlanger Piano Quintets

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 29 May 2020, 23:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...scheduled for September release, from Hyperion:
https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/ym.asp?ym=2020_09
(Excerpt is from the Scherzo of the d'Erlanger).

Mark Thomas

Gareth Vaughan

I'm looking forward to this release very much.

Incidentally, I notice that among the thumbnails of "forthcoming" CDs  on the Hyperion site is a new issue in the Classical Piano Concerto series. I can't enlarge the thumbnail and can find no information on this release anywhere on the website. However, I can read enough to see that it is Howard Shelley in 3 concertos by Cramer. I presume (and hope) that it will be the 3 he has not so far recorded: 1, 3 & 6. Folk will recall he recorded 2, 7 & 8 for Chandos some while back and 4 & 5 for Hyperion last year. But this is a digression, and when we know more will probably deserve a thread of its own.

Mark Thomas

Digression or no, that too would be good news. There's a muscularity to much of Cramer's music which I find very appealing.

Santo Neuenwelt

The link does not say which Dunhill quintet. I am assuming it is the Op.3 for violin, cello, horn, clarinet and piano. Though I am not sure, I don't think he wrote a standard piano quintet (i.e. string quartet and piano) or any other piano quintet.

The Op.3 is a fine work and was recorded some years ago by Endymion on Dutton CD 7152. You can if interested hear soundbites here: http://www.editionsilvertrust.com/dunhill-qnt-op3.htm.

I do not think the d'Erlanger has ever been recorded. The snippet on the link of the scherzo sounds quite appealing.

Alan Howe

This cannot be Dunhill's Op.3 as the performers are 'Piers Lane and the Goldner String Quartet', according to Hyperion's website; nor can it be his Op.6 as that work is for horn and string quartet. However, Wikipedia lists a Piano Quintet of 1904, so perhaps this is the work in question?

Santo Neuenwelt

You're right, I missed it on the list. It is his Op.20. Will look forward to hearing it if Covid 19 has not wiped me out by then. I wonder if it was ever published...Stainer & Bell, Novello?? If so, a copy should be in one of the UK copyright libraries such as the BL, the Bodlean and Cambridge U. It is not on IMSLP. Would love to get a copy. Checked with our private collectors and so far none have it.

Alan Howe

It's not in the BL - I've already looked. Great to know which work it is, though - thanks!

Santo Neuenwelt

Well, if it is not in the BL, it may not have been published in the UK. It depends on when the law establishing copyright libraries went into effect in the UK. Anything published in the UK has to have copies given to one of six UK copyright libraries. But maybe in 1904 or whenever, the law was not yet in effect...

Martin Eastick

I hope I can shed a little more light here on the Dunhill. As far as I am aware, this is the Op20, which was in the process of being prepared for publication by Beryl Kington (author of the book Rowley Rediscovered) some years ago, to the extent that the first couple of pages of the newly set score appeared in an issue of the British Music Society Journal (I cannot remember which year!). However the project never came to completion, but more recently I was in touch with the Dunhill family to enquire if any progress had been made and suggested at the time that a recording would be a great idea - I later brought this to Simon Perry's attention - even suggesting that the d'Erlanger would be the ideal coupling as was almost identically contemporaneous! Now it seems that this gentle hint of mine has had the desired result. Furthermore, I would also hope that it may also provide the impetus to get the Dunhill Op20 published for the first time!

Alan Howe

That's fascinating, Martin. And very well done!

Mark Thomas

Thanks Martin. Illuminating, as ever.

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks, Martin. We are in your debt - as is so often the case.

Martin Eastick

I am really looking forward to this release - the Dunhill looks to be a big-boned late romantic work with the obvious Brahmsian influence, tempered with Parry's unique "Englishness"! As for the d'Erlanger, although I have the score and parts, I have never really taken the time to look at it more closely - except for a rather cursory glance before offering my recommendations to the appropriate quarters! I'm sure we will not be disappointed.............

As to the Dunhill MS - I imagine that this is held at the RCM together with other items of his, but as I mentioned above, I sincerely hope that a proper printed edition will eventually be made available in due course.

eschiss1

If memory serves the d'Erlanger work is @ IMSLP. I look forward to hearing this recording...