Raff Symphonies (Tudor) reviewed by Hurwitz

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 23 June 2020, 17:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Initially, when he said that the symphonies were twice as long as they should be, my heart sank but, actually, generally a very positive review both of the Tudor box itself and of Raff's music in general. OK, so reading out movement headings of the symphonies and orchestral suites doesn't constitute a review, but Hurwitz's attitude towards Raff's music and its place in musical history is not only positive it's informed and accurate. I was agreeably surprised by the end of it. His German, though, is atrocious!

Kevin

Good for Mr Hurtwitz. He can speak some sense at times.

Gareth Vaughan

This strikes me as a pretty balanced and certainly not unenthusiastic review. Useful and informative for people coming new to Raff. On the whole, very fair. I am pleasantly surprised.
(But shocking German, as you say Mark!)

Kevin

I hope he does the concertos, he hinted he might. Then there's the chamber, piano, choral and lieder to get to...

Alan Howe

I don't really think he reviews the music, though - which is meant to be the point, after all.

Gareth Vaughan

I agree. He does make general remarks about Raff's music, and he praises his orchestration, etc. But just reading through the contents of the box set doesn't really cut it. Though it will likely whet the appetite of those interested in expanding their musical horizons.

Joachim Raff

He is so funny. I guess he has to make it entertaining, else no one would watch his other videos.
He goes into some considerable detail about Symphony No.1 but then speeds up through the rest with no real in-depth analysis. The last four season symphonies are basically dismissed in less than a minute.
Guess he didn't want folk getting bored by his appalling German pronunciations.
Watch it for the entertainment value. Not to be taken seriously.  ;)   

Mark Thomas

Except... his instincts are right when it comes to Raff's music and its qualities, and his appreciation of what's good about it shines through. So, even allowing for the manifold inadequacies of the video as a review, I welcome it.

Alan Howe

I do too. It'll draw attention to these recordings, I'm sure. And we know the music better than he does anyway...

Gareth Vaughan

Quotehis instincts are right when it comes to Raff's music and its qualities, and his appreciation of what's good about it shines through

Spot on, Mark.

FBerwald

I almost stopped when he started with "Stiff as a board and too long" comment but I managed to watch the entire thing. Personally I'm at a stage where I don't need any critic's opinion on Raff. Raff is a wonderful flawed genius. I think the majority of members here enjoy his works. Hurwitz rarely goes into the description of any of the symphonies except the 1st eg. the structure [which he dismisses beforehand] thematic development, motif re-usage to bind the whole of the symphonies. On the other hand as many have said, he IS SPOT ON about certain qualities of Raff. I'll second the comment "Not to be taken seriously".

Kevin

I'm still not ''sold'' on the concept of his video reviews. They make zero sense to me, that would make more sense if he was reviewing computer games or maybe films, all visual mediums, but music? nah, doesn't work. Anyway, that's just me.

Ilja

Some of us might want to avoid the subject of David Hurwitz' critiques, but he's turned the table on us, it seems, by discussing the Stadlmair set of Raff symphonies recordings on Youtube. His criticism of Raff's formal control might not find many supporters here, but the discussion as a whole is not unfriendly. As to historical details I modestly defer to Mark's judgment, of course.

Kevin

I'm very happy with what Mr Hurtwitz had to say about Raff. I thought he was spot on with everything he said about the music(lets be honest but some of Raff's finales go on too long) I hope the review brings in new Raff fans to the fold.