Gaspar Cassadó (1897-1966), cellist and composer - Cello Concerto in D minor

Started by Wheesht, Wednesday 29 July 2020, 19:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

In 1908 Pablo Casals took on  new student: Gaspard Cassadó, who became his favourite pupil and who later dedicated his Cello Concerto in D minor (1926) to his teacher. There is a recording from 2001 by Martin Ostertag and the Baden-Baden Philharmonic, conducted by Werner Stiefel, that came out on the Antes label in 2002, and according to them, it is a first recording - like the two other works on the CD: Weber's Grand Potpourri for cello and orchestra op. 20 and Cassadó's transcription of Weber's Clarinet Concerto No. 2 in E flat major op. 74, for cello and orchestra in D major. The CD is apparently still available from JPC. I got my copy directly from the Baden-Baden Philharmonic.
Another recording, with Johannes Goritzki and the Radio Orchestra Lugano conducted by Urs Schneider, is available on Youtube, but I have not been able to find out when this was made.
The Wikipedia article on Cassadó contains a link to a doctoral thesis about him, and this says that he also composed for other instruments than the cello, including a piano concerto.