CD of Swiss orchestral music

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 01 August 2020, 09:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

QuoteIt was sitting in some radio archives somewhere until then for some + 15 years

So, whose fault do you think it was that you were kept waiting for so long?

Mark Thomas

The issue with Benedetto Marcello was Sudwest Rundfunk's refusal to sell rights to use their recording - something they have every right to do, of course, even if it's frustrating for the likes of us. Eventually, and it took quite a few years, Bo ground them down and they agreed to sell Sterling the rights, provided the artists acquiesced, which they did after further delay. Only then was it possible to issue the recording commercially. Frankly, I think Bo deserves praise for his patience and tenacity.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

I'm not re-opening the issue of the lack of an English version of lokalhelden.ch, the crowd funding platform, but very helpfully Sharkkb8 contacted the site, raising the issue. He got this reply: "As our platform is only for projects which are realized in Switzerland we try first of all to cover most of the Swiss national languages which are German, Italian and French. But we are always interested in improving our platform. So maybe in the near future we will also have the option to switch to English." Thanks, Sharkkb8.

Now, back to the promised CD.

Ilja

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 05 August 2020, 13:24
*blink* And with no attempt to understand cpo's difficulties we regularly get on -their- case, well, eh.

The crucial difference is that cpo usually is a partner in the recording, so there are no licensing issues to contend with.

Alan Howe

Indeed. By contrast Sterling often engages in what we might call 'recording archaeology'...

Christopher

Oh really? Could they be persuaded to become interested in historical recordings of unsung composers held in former Soviet archives (thinking particularly of Ukraine and Belarus, where they are presumably waiting for a good offer)?  I know this leads away from Swiss matters..

Alan Howe

I doubt it. But why don't you contact Bo Hyttner yourself? Sterling's contact email is: sterling@mbox301.swipnet.se

I'm sure he won't be interested unless the recordings concerned are in decent, modern sound. You would also have to supply specific information about particular works, what recordings are available, etc. And, most importantly, you'd have to explain why certain works are worth licensing for release. In other words, the background spade work would be up to you...

Mark Thomas

I'm told that the recording sessions have been completed and it's disappointing to report that there was only time to record one of the Raff songs: Traumkönig und sein Lieb. Admittedly, this is a much more significant composition than the two Op.199 songs which were also planned. It's hoped that they will be recorded for a further CD of Swiss music, together with two further very short orchestral songs, previously unknown, which I unearthed a couple of years ago. As far as I know Eschmann's Overture and Walter's Symphony have also now been recorded.

Alan Howe

I wonder when the recording might be released...

Justin

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Tuesday 01 September 2020, 19:15
I'm told that the recording sessions have been completed and it's disappointing to report that there was only time to record one of the Raff songs

Given that donors were handed this rare opportunity to be involved in a project involving Raff works, and for the orchestra to proceed in getting most of the program recorded in pandemic conditions, we are still grateful for them in honoring this commitment. Hopefully another crowd-fund will be organized for the next CD if not a public concert.

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 01 September 2020, 23:24
I wonder when the recording might be released...

I don't like to speculate, but I presume it will still be "Fall 2020" according to the fundraising page.

Mark Thomas

So far they've stuck to schedule and AFAIK the plan is for the CD to be available by the end of this year.

Alan Howe

Thanks for the updates. An exciting prospect.

dhibbard

Wheesht

Just had the news that financing has been successful.