Julius Klengel Cello Concerto No.3 etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 17 September 2020, 12:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...forthcoming from Sony:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/cellokonzerte/hnum/8923545

This is a world premiere recording, prepared from the unpublished manuscript.

semloh

Thanks, Alan. The soundbites are absolutely gorgeous, and the playing is completely seductive. This a must for me!

Gareth Vaughan

The extracts are, indeed, enticing. I hope someone will now record the second concerto, Op. 20 in D minor (score and parts in Fleisher). Then we shall have them all. There is no doubt Klengel knew how to write attractive music. Incidentally, No. 3 was published - by Breitkopf und Hartel in 1895 (score & parts in Fleisher) - so I shall be interested to learn why it was felt necessary to produce a new edition from the MS.

Joachim Raff

Its so romantic and not dull like some of the cello concertos can be. I love the brass playing. This version is not all about the soloist but accompany playing equally spectacular.  Sony seem to be during some really exciting new repertoire. Apart from the recent Chandos recording of Smyth's Prison this is only just second best. 

eschiss1

Wheesht

There is an interview with the soloist, Raphaela Gromes, on German radio 'mdr Kultur', broadcast on 12 October and available here, in which she talks about how she found the cello part and the piano score online and studied and played it, and did the same for the second concerto, and then she opted for no. 3 for this recording. After a lengthy search, she found the orchestral material in manuscript in Berlin. Boosey and Hawkes then prepared that material for performance. It looks as though neither Ms Gromes nor Boosey were aware of the concerto being in Fleisher.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteIt looks as though neither Ms Gromes nor Boosey were aware of the concerto being in Fleisher.

If that is truly the case, I am utterly astounded. It's the first port of call for orchestral material for this sort of nineteenth century repertoire. I thought everybody who researched music would have known that.

Alan Howe