Kálmán: Symphonic Poems 'Saturnalia' & 'Endre és Johanna'

Started by Wheesht, Monday 02 November 2020, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The world premiere recording of two early symphonic poems by Emmerich Kálmán – «Saturnalia» & «Endre és Johanna» – played by the University of British Columbia Symphony Orchestra under Jonathan Girard, has just come out on a CD issued by the Operetta Foundation of Los Angeles here. A detailed description of the recording can be found on the website of the Operetta Research Center.

Alan Howe

Wheesht

Thanks for making the cover available – something I can't do. The link looks wrong (as though it was for a Kálmán DVD), but it works.

Alan Howe

I don't think this CD contains great music, but I doubt whether you'll ever get more musical fun for your buck. The three main items are clearly written by a budding composer (Emmerich Kálmán) of 'entertainment music' and, frankly, it's an absolutely glorious late-romantic wallow, with pointers to the great Hollywood score of decades later. It's also passionately played by the University of British Columbia Symphony Orchestra and recorded with thrilling impact.

It's official: this receives my 'Fun Wallow of the Year Award' for 2020.

Mark Thomas

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThe link looks wrong (as though it was for a Kálmán DVD), but it works.

Not anymore. I get a 404 error.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Wheesht

After that endorsement I can't wait for my order to arrive! (But transatlantic mail can take an awfully long time right now...)

Mark Thomas

The acknowledgement of my order warns of transatlantic postal delays of 6 to 8 weeks  so it might be the new year...

Revilod

Not always. I ordered something from America on Ebay a few weeks ago and it arrived in ten days.

Gareth Vaughan

I once ordered a score from the US. It took 8 months to arrive, by which time the embarrassed retailer had refunded my money. When it did arrive and I informed him he, very gallantly, declined to accept any payment. A true gentleman.

Wheesht

My previous order from the Operetta Foundation took just seven days, but that may have been a fluke. I have been waiting for another order from the US since 22 June, and the last I've been able to find out using the tracking number was that it had reached Australia on 5 July... but I'm in Switzerland...

Gareth Vaughan

Time to demand a refund, Wheesht. That's disgraceful.  Clearly, it has been sent to the wrong place.

Mark Thomas

Your post doesn't exactly inspire confidence, Thomas. Oh heck. How long did yours take, Alan?