Lyapunov's Rhapsody on Ukrainian Themes

Started by sdtom, Wednesday 15 December 2010, 19:57

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

Peter1953

Thomas, I appreciate the Rhapsody more than both PCs, but to be honest, none of the 3 works for piano and orchestra gets my applause.

JimL

Quote from: sdtom on Wednesday 15 December 2010, 19:57
I really enjoyed this! Completely new to me
http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/rhapsody-on-ukrainian-themeslyapunov/
Thomas
Nice review, but there are some emendations you could make:
1.  Your review solely discusses the Rhapsody, but there are 3 works on the CD, and you never mention which one you're talking about at the outset, nor at any point in the review.
2.  The first theme appears in English horn, not oboe.  A technicality, but still, the timbre is unmistakable.
3.  The PC 1 is in E-flat minor, not Major.

Other than that, bravo!

sdtom

Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 15 December 2010, 23:12
Quote from: sdtom on Wednesday 15 December 2010, 19:57
I really enjoyed this! Completely new to me
http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/rhapsody-on-ukrainian-themeslyapunov/
Thomas
Nice review, but there are some emendations you could make:
1.  Your review solely discusses the Rhapsody, but there are 3 works on the CD, and you never mention which one you're talking about at the outset, nor at any point in the review.
2.  The first theme appears in English horn, not oboe.  A technicality, but still, the timbre is unmistakable.
3.  The PC 1 is in E-flat minor, not Major.

Other than that, bravo!

I only wrote about the Rhapsody which was the title of the review so whatever I talked about was the Rhapsody. You're correct about the English Horn of course  :-[ but I believe the Rhapsody starts out in E-Flat Minor which is what I was talking about.
Tom :)

eschiss1

Are we talking about http://imslp.org/wiki/Rhapsody_on_Ukrainian_Themes,_Op.28_%28Lyapunov,_Sergei%29 here? That opening looks like F-sharp minor to me (and the rhapsody op.28 - that is the work in question?... ends in F-sharp major) - the first piano concerto, I thought, was the E-flat minor work in question... but then I'm easily confused.
Eric

JimL

The Rhapsody is in F-sharp minor.  The 1st Piano Concerto is in E-flat minor.  The 2nd Piano Concerto is in E Major.  In your listing of the works on the CD at the bottom of the review you have the 1st PC as being in E-flat Major.  That's what I'm talking about. 

Steve B

SDTom likes the Rhapsody and is communicating that.  :)That, to me, is the most important thing.Its got a distinct NAME, non-confusable with the PCs by dint of the NAME alone.Steve. PS I like it too :)

sdtom

In the review I didn't talk about any key at all and Lyapunov didn't include one in the title. I'm easily confused so I meant to say F sharp minor. Steve is correct that I am communicating that I really like the work. Right now I'm not sure how I feel about the other 4 works I've heard from him in the last day.
Thomas :)

sdtom

Is the Vox Box (2) CD set that contains the Rhapsody worth having? I've got both of the Naxos releases for now.

Steve B

Thomas, the VoxBox, including the Liapunov is DEFINITELY worth acquisition, for the fire of Ponti in Liapunov but also for the sensitivity AND nervile passion of His Medtner "Ballade "Concerto, and for the Goetz PC(though, as Jim will point out, this is cut in one movement, but it has LIFE). the first movement of the Balakirev PC is also quite exciting and passionate and the Sinding(Keller, this time )has its moments but not a patch on the VC for melodic memorability. The orchestras are variable, but keen and idiomatic(ie. match Messrs Ponti and Kellers' passion); acoustic a bit dry but very immediate for piano AND orchestra. The sadly missed Richard Kapp wrote on the previous incarnation of this forum of the woefully inadequate rehearsal time for these Ponti recordings(he quite often was the conductor). There is a supportive review on Music Web.And its very cheap!Steve

JimL

Quote from: sdtom on Thursday 16 December 2010, 15:50
In the review I didn't talk about any key at all and Lyapunov didn't include one in the title. I'm easily confused so I meant to say F sharp minor. Steve is correct that I am communicating that I really like the work. Right now I'm not sure how I feel about the other 4 works I've heard from him in the last day.
Tom.  On the bottom.  After the word "Recommended".  You list the works on the CD.  #1 on the list is the first piano concerto.  You wrote "in E flat major."  It is in E-flat minor.  That's all I'm pointing out.  Fix it if you want.  Or not.

Mark Thomas

sdtom

Mark it is ok as far as Jim is concerned. I can always accept criticism and improve. The track listing was a cut and paste from the Naxos/Classiconline web site which I just changed. I know better than to just assume. Either way I like the work and am getting the Vox Box on the recommendation of Steve B. I'll look forward to hearing the difference as well as being introduced to some new works. Amazon had a copy for under $10

Hovite

Quote from: Peter1953 on Wednesday 15 December 2010, 21:42I appreciate the Rhapsody more than both PCs, but to be honest, none of the 3 works for piano and orchestra gets my applause.

Which just goes to show how tastes vary, as I adore Lyapunov, not just the rhapsody and concerti, but the symphonies and studies as well.

In contrast, Brian's violin concerto, which is praised in a nearby thread, does nothing for me at all, nor do I appreciate his symphonies.

sdtom

My signature in my email use to be some music I just don't understand. I changed it to the Spencer quote because it is something I'm so guilty of.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation"

Herbert Spencer

That is also very appropriate for new listening material. I'm listening to Lyapunov's Symphony No. 1 now and trying to get a good feel for it.