Raff, Schreck, Jadassohn: Wind Chamber Music

Started by Justin, Saturday 10 July 2021, 06:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

Newly announced, to be released soon on CPO. The latter two are world premiere recordings.

Joachim Raff - Sinfonietta op. 188
Gustav Schreck - Nonet op. 40
Salomon Jadassohn - Sinfonietta op. 104

See the video below for a one minute excerpt from the recording session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XaDK301ibE

Wind soloists of Jena Philharmonic Orchestra
Simon Gaudenz, conductor

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

A CD which couldn't be more welcome. Terrific news!

Justin

Would this be the second commercial release of Raff's Sinfonietta?

Mark Thomas

Third I think, but the first for many years. There was a pioneering Swiss CTS LP, with members of the Orchestra della Radio Svizzera Italiana under Leopoldo Casella, coupling it with works by Schnyder von Wartensee and Stunz. Unfortunately, it has a cut in one of the movements (the finale, I think). The only other commercial recording I'm aware of is also Swiss: an early CD from Tudor with members of the Radio-Sinfonie Orchester Basel, conducted by Andres Joho. It's coupled with Raff's 11th Symphony. Recording premieres for the Jadassohn and Schreck, though, which is exciting.

TerraEpon

So...,.the Sinfonietta is for two wind quintets...and it's Raff. Given I don't have that old Tudor CD this might be something I need.
Which piece is the sample from?

Mark Thomas

terry martyn

This is indeed a must- buy.  I was actually toying with the notion of buying a secondhand copy of the Tudor, but I'm glad I held off.

eschiss1

I'm curious about the Jadassohn- possibly contemporary with his 4th symphony though opus numbers tend to be deceiving- and the Schreck too, so thanks for pointing this new recording out!