Other new releases -- 2/2011

Started by eschiss1, Monday 03 January 2011, 05:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

According to Naxos, the first, third and fourth quartets of Rubbra will be released in 2/11 in some areas at least on Naxos 8.572555 (completing the recording began last year with a CD coupling the 2nd quartet with other material- only the 3rd ever recording of the works on the present disc, counting only complete cycles on Sterling and Dutton Epoch earlier. The 2nd quartet has been somewhat more fortunate.
The 1934/1946 first quartet at least I would describe as Romantic with tenuous connections to the Fauré E minor.)
A recording of George Bizet's complete piano music is also announced for release in 2/11 on Naxos.
Hyperion apparently will be releasing the second recording of Spohr's 10th symphony in the same month (and the 2nd? 3rd? recording of the 8th- I forget if cpo's series has hit that one yet.)
Eric

FBerwald

I have also been informed that the entire Marco Polo edition of Johann Strauss II complete orchestral works is being re-issued in spring. ............. I can't wait.........I might be reduced to begging on the streets by fall.............

giles.enders

JH11 being re released and they haven't even started recording Eduard yet!

TerraEpon

Quote from: FBerwald on Wednesday 05 January 2011, 08:32
I have also been informed that the entire Marco Polo edition of Johann Strauss II complete orchestral works is being re-issued in spring. ............. I can't wait.........I might be reduced to begging on the streets by fall.............

If it were a box set, at a really really good price, I'd be tempted. But...51 (or 52 if they stick the choral music in there) discs....is just so much.
So I hope it's NOT a set. Heh.

FBerwald

Hamelin's back with the Romantic Piano Concerto Vol - 53 Reger & Strauss.  Although I have both the pieces I'm curious about Hamelin's take on these (especially the Reger)

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67635

Ps : Just out of curiosity, is the Romantic Cello Concerto series by Hyperion dead?

Mark Thomas

I'm afraid that I can't raise much enthusiasm for this release, both on the grounds of duplication and content.

FBerwald

I just want to see if Hamelin's version makes the Reger appealing to me. So far I can't seem to warm up to the piece even though many ppl seem to praise it ...

Alan Howe

The VC's much easier to warm to, I find. However, the slow movement of the PC is just sublime: one of the great slow movements in all music for me...

albion

Quote from: FBerwald on Thursday 06 January 2011, 17:07
Hamelin's back with the Romantic Piano Concerto Vol - 53 Reger & Strauss.  Although I have both the pieces I'm curious about Hamelin's take on these (especially the Reger)

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67635

Ps : Just out of curiosity, is the Romantic Cello Concerto series by Hyperion dead?
Quote from: Mark Thomas on Thursday 06 January 2011, 17:23
I'm afraid that I can't raise much enthusiasm for this release, both on the grounds of duplication and content.
It's just a stop-gap before the main event - Somervell and Cowen (volume 54)!  ;D

Alan Howe

I'm certainly looking forward to Vol.54 - but I'll also speak up for the Reger PC, whether or not it is such an enticing prospect as there have been other recordings.

albion

Quote from: giles.enders on Wednesday 05 January 2011, 11:06
Giles, I certainly agree that Eduard Strauss has been unfairly neglected. I have recordings of Paul Angerer conducting the Vienna Chamber Orchestra in the following pieces:

Das Leben ist doch schon - Walzer, Op.150 (1876)
Chere amie - Polka francaise, Op.223 (1884)
Verdicte - Walzer, Op.137 (1876)
Auf und davon - Polka schnell, Op.73 (1871)
Interpretationen - Walzer, Op.97 (1873)
La belle Helene - Quadrille, Op.14 (1865)
Fatinitza - Walzer, Op.147 (1876)
Mit Dampf - Polka (schnell), Op.70 (1874)
Doctrinen - Walzer, Op.79 (1872)
Schneesternchen - Polka francaise, Op.157 (1877)
Colombine - Polka-Mazur, Op.98 (1872)
Carmen - Quadrille, Op.134 (1876)
Myrthenzauber - Walzer, Op.272 (1890)
Amors Gruss - Polka francaise, Op.83 (1872)
Fesche Geister - Walzer, Op.75 (1871)
Bahn frei - Polka (schnell), Op.45 (1869)

If you don't have these recordings and would like copies please drop me a PM.

FBerwald

Just got word from Hyperion; The Romantic Cello concerto series hasn't been scrapped and they have 2 further volumes lined up (Didn't give me any dates though!!!!) . Wonder what they have up their sleeves !!!!!!!!!!

eschiss1

Quote from: FBerwald on Sunday 09 January 2011, 08:27
Just got word from Hyperion; The Romantic Cello concerto series hasn't been scrapped and they have 2 further volumes lined up (Didn't give me any dates though!!!!) . Wonder what they have up their sleeves !!!!!!!!!!
Well, this is good news (I can hope they're looking at some of the many interesting un-to-little-known RCC's out there, even though the description doesn't require them to. Maybe a commercial recording of the Molique opus 45 in one volume, somewhere down the line? The Hegar?) We've done various wishlists but not a cello concerto wishlist, I think- waste of time or good idea? ;) ah, one could get one started I suppose and find out *ducks* (edit: I would of course be very much in favor of a good stunning recording and performance of the 2 by Raff. Just saying. Even though it wouldn't be a premiere. Having a look at http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Concertos and going sound unheard, I'm fairly sure a recording of Widor's concerto op.41, or Arthur Foote's op.33. I like Foerster's opus 143 of 1931 though other choices come to mind also and the Foerster has been recorded...)

TerraEpon

Another recording of the orchestration of Dvorak's first Cello Concerto would be welcome, though I'm not sure if that'd fit as the original only includes piano accompaniment (and the orchestration hacks the piece up a bit)

albion

Quote from: giles.enders on Wednesday 05 January 2011, 11:06
For reasons best known to themselves, Marco Polo have deleted volumes 7 and 9 of their ongoing edition of the works of Johann Strauss I (1804-1849). With volume 18 due out at the end of this month and probably another half-dozen discs to go, this seems mighty peculiar to say the least.  :o

Any collector who hasn't got those volumes yet should try and get them promptly as prices for volume 7 on Amazon UK have already started to climb. The performances in the series, mostly by the Slovak Sinfonietta, are authentically chamber-sized and bring back very fond memories of the four Intercord double-LP sets from the 1980s (one each devoted to then-unknown works by Johann I, Johann II, Josef and Eduard) by the Wiener Kammerorchester under Paul Angerer.