News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Josef Labor

Started by jimmattt, Saturday 08 January 2011, 21:13

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmattt

Does anyone have any info on Josef Labor? He was a composer and teacher and wrote a piece for Paul Wittgenstein for left hand only, I vaguely remember reading that his offering was the only one Wittgenstein apparently really liked, and supposedly he played it more than all those wonderful pieces by Prokofiev, Ravel, Bortkiewicz, Schmidt, Hindemith, et al. that he either hated or nitpicked to death. Sounds like a pill, but, ah, Art must be served! I think there is some chamber music out by Labor, but wonder if any orchestral stuff is available, or what all he wrote, Wikipedia is sparse. Thanks

Mark Thomas

I have some of his chamber music and it is lovely stuff. In particular the Quintet for clarinet, piano and string trio is a delight - extremely melodious, fine ensemble writing and a delicacy of expression which reminds me rather of Goetz. I don't know any orchestral music, but I'd grab it if I came across any. He was blind, wasn't he?

JimL

Quote from: jimmattt on Saturday 08 January 2011, 21:13
Does anyone have any info on Josef Labor? He was a composer and teacher and wrote a piece for Paul Wittgenstein for left hand only, I vaguely remember reading that his offering was the only one Wittgenstein apparently really liked, and supposedly he played it more than all those wonderful pieces by Prokofiev, Ravel, Bortkiewicz, Schmidt, Hindemith, et al. that he either hated or nitpicked to death. Sounds like a pill, but, ah, Art must be served! I think there is some chamber music out by Labor, but wonder if any orchestral stuff is available, or what all he wrote, Wikipedia is sparse. Thanks
From the Bortkiewicz CD of the 2nd and 3rd PCs, apparently he rather liked Borty's concerto.  He certainly played it somewhat frequently.

thalbergmad

Quote from: jimmattt on Saturday 08 January 2011, 21:13
Does anyone have any info on Josef Labor? He was a composer and teacher and wrote a piece for Paul Wittgenstein for left hand only

Well, he wrote a fantasie in f minor for the left hand only that I can just about play with 2 hands. Not sure if this is the one concerned.

Also a fine Konzertstuck for piano & orchestra that would suit an octavely gifted pianist. A nice contrasting partner for the Dreyschock perhaps. Labor seems not to be short of a melody and capable of fireworks.

Thal

eschiss1

First came on his name as the composer of the theme of the finale of Franz Schmidt's clarinet quintet in A (he was Schmidt's teacher as well, if I remember.)  There are four chamber works of his in score at IMSLP (the four were published between 1893 and 1912 it seems; see this category). (A violin sonata, a piano quartet, a piano quintet and a quintet for piano, clarinet and strings - I should check to see if that's the one where the Schmidt theme comes from, same instrumentation :) ) There is also a cello sonata from 1896 and other works.

It is! The Labor theme Schmidt uses is the Allegretto grazioso theme, 2nd movement, from Labor's opus 11 clarinet quintet. :)
Eric

mbhaub

Labor has been sadly and strangely neglected. He was a revered figure in Vienna, so much so that just across the street from the Konzerthall near Stadtpark in that city they erected monument with his head. Within shouting distance of the famous Beethoven statue. They don't have one for Schmidt, Korngold, Zemlinsky or other better known composers. Maybe someday, when Naxos is trying to find something that hasn't been recorded someone will mention Labor. Or maybe Hyperion will do the Konzertstuck in its Romantic Concerto series!

According to Groves 5: form Horovice, 29 June 1842, died Vienna, 26 April 1924. Studied at Vienna Conservatory. Blind and became chamber musician to King of Hanover in 1863. When to Vienna in 1868. Wrote church music and a Konzertstuck for piano and orchestra, two piano quintets, a quartet and trio with piano, a violin sonata, organ works and some piano pieces.

jerfilm

There are at least two CDs of Labors music.   The Quintet mentnioned above and a disc of his organ works.  Amazon, among other vendors.

Jerry

giles.enders

I believe Labor was the first composer Wittgenstein approached to write him a concerto for the left hand.  Labor had taught him at some stage.  I have the Wittgenstein biography but it doesn't say much about Laor. I believe Wittgenstein played the Schmidt concerto the most frequently.

FBerwald

Having just finished hearing the charming Clarinet quintet,  I find it astonishing that no one has ventured to explore his other works especially Konzertstück. Has anyone any idea what this music is like? He seems to have also written a violin concerto...

Gareth Vaughan

The Clarinet Quintet on that Cedille disk is, indeed, a lovely work. I would love to hear the Konzertstuck and the VC, but does anyone know where the full score or parts are? I haven't begun a proper search yet, admittedly, but they are not listed on WorldCat nor does Fleisher have them. There are, of course, lots of other places to look but someone might be able to save me the effort... Who knows?

Alan Howe

COPAC turns up this result:
https://copac.jisc.ac.uk/search?title=Konzert%20G%20dur%20fu%CC%88r%20Violine%20mit%20Orchester%20begleitung

So there are copies of the piano reduction in the British Library and the Senate House Libraries of the University of London.

IMSLP has this: Violin Concerto in G major. Published in full score (Universal Edition, 1912) (85 pages. Plate U.E.3692). Violin/Piano reduction by Emil Hochreiter (Vienna: Universal Edition (UE 5529), 1915).

No idea, though, where the full score might be...

Gareth Vaughan

My point exactly. No full score and no orchestral parts - alas! We must look elsewhere...

eschiss1

And his concertstück no.2 for piano and orchestra - see http://data.onb.ac.at/rec/AC14315648, digitized online.

Gareth Vaughan

Splendid. ONB was to have been my next port of call. And having called there, albeit briefly, I see they have full score of the 1st Konzertstuck (for the Left Hand) aswell. Also sets of parts for both.
I will see if I can interest Hyperion.