Camillo Schumann Cello Sonatas

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 02 February 2011, 00:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I think this new CD of cello sonatas by Camillo Schumann (1872-1946 and brother of Georg) may well be worth investigating...

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Camillo-Schumann-Sonaten-f%FCr-Cello-Klavier-Nr-1-2/hnum/4965621

eschiss1

Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 02 February 2011, 00:44
I think this new CD of cello sonatas by Camillo Schumann (1872-1946 and brother of Georg) may well be worth investigating...

wait, didn't we have a discussion about this when it came out as a digital download about a half-year ago  :)

Alan Howe

Possibly: but we've recently had a thread on his brother, so let's keep this one going. Does anyone know any more of Camillo's music?

Mark Thomas

What immediately attractive music. Excuse me, must dash, I'm off to classicsonline.com!

Mark Thomas

... there's also what sounds like a very pretty Flute Sonata on a Berlin Classics CD with works by Hummel n Moszkowski. Samples here.

eschiss1

2 of Camillo Schumann's several organ sonatas are on IMSLP in score but I haven't yet heard any of his music.

jerfilm

The cello sonata disc is available for download on Amazon USA for US$5.99

Jerry

black

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 02 February 2011, 12:08
2 of Camillo Schumann's several organ sonatas are on IMSLP in score but I haven't yet heard any of his music.
No. 2 and no. 4 can be heard on Youtube

eschiss1

Is that from the  set on MDG (1984) performed by Reinhard Kluth of Camillo Schumann's complete organ sonatas?  (Ah no, I see- it's from a different recording entirely- Stockmeier on Psallite LP, 1970s.)

jerfilm

So is organ sonata #6......YouTube, that is

Jerry

Alan Howe

My reaction on listening to these cello sonatas is somewhat similar to that which Röntgen's music made on me some years ago. This is very conservative, but absolutely wonderful music, written with obvious craftsmanship and with a seemingly endless supply of gorgeous melody. I may well wear out this CD!!

BTW, just look at the catalogue of his works...
http://www.romanmusprod.de/csg/html/werkverzeichnis.html

jerfilm

Yes, this is a real find.  I especially like #2.  Twice a year I make up a set of "Dad's Favorite" discs for some family members who share my passion for classical romantic composers and this will surely be a top pick for 2011.

Jerry

JimL

Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of orchestral music in there.  But that Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 67 looks like it might be intriguing.

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Friday 04 February 2011, 00:18
Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of orchestral music in there.  But that Violin Concerto in D minor, Op. 67 looks like it might be intriguing.
Odd. Same opus number as the 4th sonata? guess so, the list considers the sonata 'op.67a'. hrm!

JimL

There was also a question as to whether the VC was Op. 27, I think.  The question is whether or not there is a score, MS or published.